Jehovah's Witnesses, would you kill someone in self defense?

If someone was attacking you aggressively, would you kill them in self defense?

Update:

I Ask The Questions Around Here: Exactly my point.

If soldiers didn't defend themselves or us, we'd be in their situation, fighting for our lives and rights. Aren't you glad they are doing it for you? Or would you like our military to retire all services and allow aggressive leaders and terrorists to take over our country? If you don't like our country now...just wait 'till it gets taken over because we can't defend ourselves.

Update 2:

Of course Self Defense and War is different, but if we had no soldiers, you would be defending yourself from others invading OUR country.

If war is so wrong, why don't you tell that to David who was a "man after God's own heart", (you know... the guy whose example you follow for "hatred against apostates"). While you're following that example, I guess you could also follow his military example as well.

While you're telling David, you could also send your message to Samson. And don't forget Moses.

Update 3:

If having no military is so great, wouldn't you be able to convince others and the government why it would be great without it? Maybe you will succeed since you are the channel of God's communication. I'm sure he'll help communicate and convince why we should have no military. Then we'll see how it's like with no military to keep armed terrorists from taking over our country and forcing you to choose life or death.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If my life were on the line, yes sir. If it truly comes down to his life or my life, then his life goes.

The Bible makes it clear that we have a right to defend ourselves. I think I know where this is going but I will wait for you to follow-up with more details or another question.

EDIT: Yes, I rather thought that is what the question was leading to. If you mean to imply some sort of parallel between defending your life on the spot and engaging in carnal warfare, certainly we can see some key factors are being overlooked. I will not go into any discussion regarding carnal warfare engaged in by one particular country, particularly as respects its invasion of another country. I will say, however, that first-century Christians left us a model to follow and we should consider closely just what that model was. First-century Christians were neutral as to politics and this is undisputed. And they most assuredly did not engage in any sort of carnal warfare, though they had good reason. One need only consider their lives under the hated yoke of the Roman Empire, complete with its savagery, slavery and Christians as live torches to light the arena by night to know this.

But what scriptures bear on this attitude of true Christians regarding carnal warfare? At Matthew 26:52, Jesus instructed his disciple to return his weapon to its place. Surely no greater reason existed than to fight for the Messiah. Yet, Jesus told them not to resort to such weapons of physical warfare.

At 2 Corinthians 10:3,4 the apostle Paul was inspired to write that "we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh . . . the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly." At Luke 6:27, 28, Jesus commanded us to continue to love our enemies. Do we rightly say that resorting to bloodshed and warfare is a manifestation of love for our enemies? What about serving in the armed forces? Do we rightly say that invading another country is loving our enemies?

What does history have to say as respects the Christian attitude toward carnal warfare? "A careful review of all the information available goes to show that, until the time of Marcus Aurelius [Roman emperor from 161 to 180 C.E.], no Christian became a soldier; and no soldier, after becoming a Christian, remained in military service." The Rise of Christianity (London, 1947), E. W. Barnes p. 333.

"They refused to take an active part in the civil administration or the military defence of the empire . . . it was impossible that the Christians, without renouncing a more sacred duty, could assume the character of soldiers, of magistrates, or of princes." History of Christianity (New York, 1891), Edward Gibbon, pp. 162-163.

People certainly have the right to self-defense; particularly where their life or the life of a loved one is on the line. Even coming to the aid of a stranger to save his life if it is threatened is acceptable. But by no means can this right be used to justify carnal warfare for Christians.

Hannah J Paul

Source(s): The Rise of Christianity (London, 1947), E. W. Barnes p. 333. History of Christianity (New York, 1891), Edward Gibbon, pp. 162-163. Holy Bible
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

Source(s): Self Defence Training http://netint.info/UltimateSelfDefenseGuide
  • 1 decade ago

The Bible is clear that self defense is perfectly acceptable to God as long as it absolutely necessary.

That being said your reasoning is weak. If you were describing a military that guarded the borders and retaliated with whatever means were necessary, your reasoning would be sound. You, however, are talking about an army that is sent somewhere else to kill.

The United States invaded Iraq, not the other way around. And that is exactly why I could never in good conciense join the military. A soldier is put into positions where they will inevitably be forced to defend themselves. I don't blame the soldiers for what they have to do. The leaders (not just in this country) are the ones ordering that murders be committed. I for one, refuse to take orders that will require me to take someone else's life.

• 1 decade ago

Possibly, though I'm not exactly a "fighter", however to defend myself or those I care about I would protect them as best I could. Hopefully, and most likely, it could be accomplished without murder.

EDIT

I figured this "question" was really a speech in training.

The attempt to compare, for example, my neice being attacked in front of me, and my helping her, with going to another country to fight others, for the protection of a political structure is faulty, in my opinion.

The US military isn't fighting to protect ME, it is fighting under the direction of it's political powers because it's told to by them. If I was in Iraq, there is a very REAL chance I would be treated at some point as the enemy, simply because of my location.

There is NO reason to believe God endorses America, or that this current war is "God's war".

I often wonder when I read retoric along the lines of "if you aren't for us, you're against us" if the people saying such things, if it occurs to them, that, if I was born in Japan and followed the nationalism I supposedly should feel, I would be trying to attack Americans.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well Jerome K if Peter was scolded by Christ himself when defending Jesus "Live by the sword you die by the sword" that should be the example. However to you direct question would I kill someone...first of all if they wanted my money so be it if they wanted any thing so be it...the law will deal with them later..if they wanted to harm me or family...you would want to prevent them from doing that...never though with the intention of taking their life.

You also bring up the point of "aren't we glad for the soldiers that do"...if everyone Was a JW there would be no need for soldiers or armies or countries because we look to Jesus as our Leader and follow his commandments to show love. You never have to worry about a JW from another country invading or trying to kill you...it doesn't happen.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In the Bible; it says

that if a person does come into your house

to do harm to you and your household,

and you do spill that person's blood,

there is no blood guilt.

Recently, the law of this land added, to this;

any public place that you have the right to be,

such as a restaurant, and a person does threaten your life,

and you harm that person, kill them,

you can not be held for murder.

J's W's follow God's law first and foremost.

After that the law of the land.

This being said, I do have the legal right to kill some1 that

comes into my place of being, w/out being held for murder.

GOING to war...Killing ppl is NOT the same*.

I have already been in this position more than once in my life.

I have always had a husband,

so he would be the 1 to protect us, not myself.

He is not a Witness, and has No qualms whatsoever....

in killing a person.

* My husband served in the army, (b4 we met)

he has a picture of himself,

standing at the wall of his barracks,

w/ a painted mural of wings & a parachute,

w/ the words...

"Travel to exotic lands, meet interesting ppl, and KILL them"

GOING to war; IS MURDER.

Even the army recognizes this,

why is it that YOU don't?

Edit:

The men you spoke of that went to war

were not only directed by Jehovah ,

but also, led by Him.

NOT man's war.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Perhaps you should ask this of the thousands who were put into the German Concentration camps. They didn't fight back, yet not only did they all survive, their numbers increased as Jews and German solders came to know the truth.

Check out last year's video "Knocking" which was produced by a Gay man.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You know soldiers are doing the same thing? They are not just defending themselves but they are defending you and our country. You do realize what would happen if they didn't, don't you? If they weren't defending our country, you'd be the one defending yourself against such terrorists; and who knows, you may end up in a situation where it's either your life or theirs because there is no military to stop forces from coming in our country and taking over.

May I say Holocaust II?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Before answering this i did some research to make sure of my answer but to be honest this is how i would deal with it:Just as the Bible prophesied, we live in violent times. (2 Timothy 3:1-5) But toting a gun or learning karate kicks will not make you any safer. Be cautious. Use godly wisdom when faced with trouble. And above all, have faith and trust in Jehovah. Like the psalmist, you can confidently pray: “From the man of violence you will deliver me.”—Psalm 18:48. I only answer for myself.

• 1 decade ago

If someone were directly threatening my life, of course I would defend my self. When it comes to war, there is no direct threat on my life, when you go to war you are killing innocent people. Did those innocent people directly threaten your life, when children are killed in battle did they threaten your life? And how is the war that the US is involved in now threatening you?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.