Buying a new comp, Is it possible to have an external Hard Drive for work and Internal hard drive for game?

I'm going to buy a Dell XPS 720. There are 2 things I do on my computer, work and play. For work I mainly deal with answering emails etc, So I always have about 5000 - 7000 emails in my outlook. I'm thinking with this new computer, I probably should not put on the same hard drive because if I do it... show more I'm going to buy a Dell XPS 720.
There are 2 things I do on my computer, work and play.
For work I mainly deal with answering emails etc, So I always have about 5000 - 7000 emails in my outlook. I'm thinking with this new computer, I probably should not put on the same hard drive because if I do it will slow down game performance.
Is it possible to buy an external hard drive, and install a SEPARATE windows / Microsoft Office on that external hard drive just for work?
Can I make it so every time I start the computer, it will ask me if I want to boot from the Internal hard drive or external hard drive?
That way I can keep work and games separate and my gaming hard drive wouldn't have 7000 work emails..
Update: And another reason why I want them to be on separate hard drives is cuz I get emails from everywhere. Tons of spams, spyware attachments, etc etc. I know the firewall would probably block all of it but maybe a few things still get through.