Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 1 decade ago

Buying a new comp, Is it possible to have an external Hard Drive for work and Internal hard drive for game?

I'm going to buy a Dell XPS 720.

There are 2 things I do on my computer, work and play.

For work I mainly deal with answering emails etc, So I always have about 5000 - 7000 emails in my outlook. I'm thinking with this new computer, I probably should not put on the same hard drive because if I do it will slow down game performance.

Is it possible to buy an external hard drive, and install a SEPARATE windows / Microsoft Office on that external hard drive just for work?

Can I make it so every time I start the computer, it will ask me if I want to boot from the Internal hard drive or external hard drive?

That way I can keep work and games separate and my gaming hard drive wouldn't have 7000 work emails..

And another reason why I want them to be on separate hard drives is cuz I get emails from everywhere. Tons of spams, spyware attachments, etc etc. I know the firewall would probably block all of it but maybe a few things still get through.

Favorite Answer

you don't need to load a separate copy of windows or office into the external hard drive, but yes.

To eurostudio:

You have probably never tried vista and don't know how LITTLE ram it uses (yes, that wasn't a typo)

For that, an internal hard drive is best. Your external drive would be limited to USB speeds. Externals like that are great for storing music, pictures and video, but games have too much data to run from an external with much success, unless it's an older game with limited graphics. Installing a secondary internal hard drive is easy. You'll need to see if your computer uses SATA or IDE drives to make sure you purchase the right type.

This is a good idea, however it will not work. Xp does not like being installed on removable media, i have tried before. One option would be to keep the gaming on your internal hd, for best performance. Then just copy your emails to your external. As for office leave it on your gaming hd. externals are not meant for processing. If you have some computer know how you could add another internal hard drive. But you would need some tech skills to set it up, including installing, and configuring a boot loader. ability to install the hard drive physically. install xp without formatting your original drive because if you accidently do it then you are screwed. If you do not feel safe with the above requirements then go with the first option. or have a good friend help you with this. Hope this helps

Listen, I was going to buy that Dell XPS 720, but its not good for gaming cause of Vista. Because Vista uses so much memory itself and than theres not too much left for your gaming. Vista kills video cards and memory. I have a Dell Percision 390 with Intel Core 2 Quad 2.44GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, and nVidia GeForce 512MB 8600GT and it plays games amazing! And best part of it is that its Windows XP. Ok now as for External for work. Ok if you talking about storing your programs on the External than ok. But isntalling programs into the External will be SLOW. Cause USB only transfers so much, were as internally it transfers so much more with its cables. I use an external for gaming and its not that good. Get a good 100GB + Hard drive and do you work and gaming on one. Or get 2 hard-drives internally. Externals aren't as fast.

The provided link shows you a great hard drive if you want to game on it, with USB 2.0 for better transfers and speed as well as the hard drive being 10,000RPM itself that would help sooo much.

having a lot of files in your system is not really that much of an issue in gaming. as long as you have some breathing room for virtual memory, you can have the same performance in an 80% full hd and in a 5% full hd.

but if you still want to dual boot, it is easier to just partition a big hd or just buy another internal hard drive and install another os there. installing an os on an external hd is certainly possible however, you need some tweaking and you need to enable usb booting in your BIOS.

Yes it is; however, it's kind of a detailed answer. A bit long for here.

My short answer though ... there is no need to install an operating system on the external hard drive. Simply direct your run your email software from the internal drive but direct it to store/access all data from the the externall HDD.

If you get a mobile rack and two trays they can be popped in and out like a cassette. They are cheap as h***. I use them for people who have kids. That way the kids have their own hard drive.

You need one rack, two trays, two hard drives. Installation is a Phillips head screwdriver.

http://www.directron.com/mobilerack.html

Source(s): Programming and building computers since 1973

yes it is.

but i could build that for so much less money.........