Advice for caring for someone with gastrointestinal disorders?

My wife has several diagnosed gastrointestinal disorders that, while treated, frequently cause her severe abdominal cramping/pain and nausea, and often tension headaches.

While we are still trying to get her effective medical treatment, is there any advice anyone has on home treatment/care I could provide to make things easier?

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

Keep some ibuprofen on hand, it's an anti-inflammatory which will help. Make sure she takes it with food however, even if it's just a dry cracker. She can safely take 600 mg every 6-8 hours. Check with her doctor first in case her gastrointestinal issues won't allow her to take ibuprofen, he might prefer she use Tylenol. If these are ineffective talk to your local doctor about a mild muscle relaxer which will help to ease the cramps.

Make sure she drinks PLENTY of fluids, that's essential, and also get her a hot water bottle that she can hold across her abdomen. A fiber drink might help, but it depends upon the medical issue that she has. Peppermint tea is also good for nausea if she can tolerate it.

Hopefully you'll get some effective help soon. I wish you both the best.

Source(s): EMT

This probably will not be big help but I'm hoping she is following a strict diet. No foods with acidity, no coffee, and no cigarettes. These all produce more acid in the stomach. Oh, also no alcohol.

Source(s): My husband also suffers from this.