Jaguar Reliability?

How come a car make like Jaguar that's considered luxurious and high class looses value so fast? There are plenty of x and s types, 1-2 year old, selling for around $20,000...I know Mercedes loose value because of high maintenance cost (and maintenance is required often because of the bad reliability) are Jaguars the same "crap"? Is it worth it buying a 2 year old Jaguar instead of a new a nissan or toyota?

Favorite Answer

Jaguar suffers with reliability issues.

they are expensive to buy and own.

the running joke is

that you need to buy 2 jags so you have something to drive while the other one is in the repair shop.

they got this reputation many years ago when early cars had numerous and hard to diagnose electrical problems.

they still only earn average to below average satisfaction ratings when it comes to mechanical reliability.

they are very good cars when they are good, and very bad cars when they are bad.

unless you have deep pockets & a very good mechanic avoid these cars.

one of the most beautiful cars ever is Jaguar E-Type w/ 12 Cylinder

http://static.flickr.com/3/5777093_b6e3460415.jpg

Source(s): ,,^._.^,,
  • weise

Jaguar Reliability

Jaguar Maintenance Cost

I have an 01 XK8. She has 42000 miles. She has spent her life as a garage decoration. Pacific blue with white connolly interior. Maintenance cost since new has been about $5,000 on top of normal maintenance. 2 of those repairs were design flaws that I corrected. So all in all, the only repair that should have been done was a new fuel pump... so $937 is the real unplanned maintenance cost in 14 years. A person that would use a jaguar XK8 as daily driver isn't concerned with what gas, oil and tires cost. LOL! If you are, buy a used Toyota. My daily driver is an 03 F150...rides like new, runs like new, looks like it is 4 or 5 years old. It is 99.9% reliable and cheap to drive, short the gas mileage... average of 18. However, there is no payment and insurance is cheap. Questions? :-)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Jaguar Reliability?

How come a car make like Jaguar that's considered luxurious and high class looses value so fast? There are plenty of x and s types, 1-2 year old, selling for around $20,000...I know Mercedes loose value because of high maintenance cost (and maintenance is required often because of the bad...

Source(s): jaguar reliability: https://tr.im/XSP6c

I own a shop, and see what we work on the most, and know a little about vehicles. Jaguar has been around for years, and is known worldwide for being a reliable vehicle. If I were you I would buy a new vehicle, and stay away from the used Jag. One must ask this: Why did the previous owner get rid of the vehicle? Most of the time people trade away their problems, rather than deal with it. It is so much easier to just purchase a new vehicle, than it is trying to fix some other persons problem child. All brands have lemons, and when a person gets a good vehicle, the tend to keep them for a long time if they are pleased with it. Nissan, and Toyota both have a good reputation as being leaders in building what the consumer wants. A very good place to get information that would help you decide would be Consumer Reports Magazine. They do all kinds of tests to about every make of vehicle on the market, and post the results in their website & magazine. You may also want to check this site:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

You can see what complaints have been lodged against these vehicles, and this is a useful tool in aiding anyone in deciding on what would best suit their needs.

Glad to help out, Good Luck!!!

Source(s): Certified Master Mechanic, Shop Owner, 40 years experience.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ayhpc

So your dad is currently driving a Corolla, and now he's decided to buy a 113k car? Did he win the lottery? Sorry, I don't buy it. Also don't think you're going to be able to negotiate much on a Jag,especially one of the more rare XJL supersports. Jag/Lexus/MB/BMW dealers don't do much negotiations with their high end models. These aren't Ford or GM dealers who play games with floor mats in order to make a sale. Chances are they'll tell you the sticker price is what you're going to pay, and if you don't want to pay for it, you can go buy a car elsewhere. And yes Jaguars are not terribly reliable. Better than they have been in the past, but as a whole, they are still below average.

I have been driving an S type for a year now, it is a beautiful car to drive and even though my car is 1999 I have had no problems at all. I came from a BMW 320i and It was constantly giving trouble, I would never go back.

Jaguar had a poor reliability reputation, but since Ford took over you are really driving a rebranded Ford. But Fords don't look like this: http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2000-2003/2000-J...

No, Jaguars are not "crap." We work on many, and they are nice cars with good fit and finish.

But a Toyota they are not. We deal with plenty of people that get sticker shock about how expensive they can be to repair. And the maintenance that's required on a regular basis. They are not inexpensive to own, but they are reliable if you keep them maintained.

They are NOT Fords. They are not remotely close (with the exception of the X-Types and the S-Type 3.0). I can't understand the people who say that. I work with them every day. The transmissions, brakes, etc. are all JAGUAR. That "Ford" tranny in the S-Type V8's? It has Jaguar planetary sets. The software is Jag and requires a special scantool. There is not a Ford dealer in their right mind that will work on them.

If you can afford the maintenance, then yes, it is worth picking up an older Jag. That's where all the interesting ownership stories came from. No one's going to reminisce about owning a Toyota Avalon, and the Jag will give you an enjoyable driving experience the Toyota could NEVER deliver. Just get a pre-purchase inspection done by a shop that works on that car.

Source(s): Work for a Jaguar / Land Rover specialty shop

1