yeast infection, BV or just normal stuff?

About a week ago I was sure I had a yeast infection. The yeasty smell, the itching and the heavy white discharge. Over the past week, the itching has gone away, the yeasty smell went away, but the discharge is still there. Is the yeast infection just going away, or is this something else? I know it cant be an STD, I have been in a monogamous relationship for the past 2 years. I did just finish my period the day before I saw signs of the infection. Is my PH just off from the period? Any suggestions?


Thank you everyone for all of your answers and your help! It turns out "Newt from Aliens" was correct. It was a mild yeast infection that healed, then my body just doing the normal monthly cleansing...being a bit more heavy due to the infection. The doc said to just take some daily multi-vitamins to help with the process. Thank you all!!

13 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    It's your body cleansing itself. It normally does this once a month, but may be thicker now to clean out all the infection.

  • 1 decade ago

    Ug isn't that fun? You can buy a test over the counter that you wear like a panty liner and it will tell you if it's a yeast infection or a bacterial one (by changing color). If you have a smell to the discharge (like fish) it is probably bacterial, although there may not be a smell if it's bacterial.

    To alleviate the symptoms you could try drinking a lot of cranberry juice, just get the diet kind so you're not innundating your system with sugar, which could make a yeast infection worse. If it is just that your PH is off, you can try taking some acidophilus bifidus or acidophilus lactobacilus--they introduce the "good bacteria back into your system and acidify the vagina.

    Sounds like fun, eh! Hope this helps.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Only a doctor can tell for sure if you have a yeast infection by taking a swab and run some tests. Most of us can sometimes tell by the feel, look, and smell that you have a yeast infection. If your symptoms don't match this list, or you are confused or uncertain, go see your doctor if at all possible.

    It feels like an intense itching, burning sensation, localized in your vagina and vulva. This itching is not always present, but can get really bad, so bad you can hardly walk, let alone sit still or concentrate on anything.

    It looks like clumpy white stuff. Most medical descriptions compare the discharge to ricotta cheese, but it can range from thick and not clumpy to faintly yellow to thin and clear.

    It smells like bread or beer. In fact, it smells pretty much exactly like yeast.

    There are other types of infections that can sometimes infect your vagina and vulva and it's helpful to know the symptoms of all of them so you can be really sure before you go treat yourself for a yeast infection you might not have.

    A bacterial infection of the vagina can feel a lot like a yeast infection if the vulval area is itchy or painful. Unlike a yeast infection, the discharge can be dark yellow, green, or brown and it won't smell like bread, it can smell like fish or something rotting. If you think you might have a bacterial infection, or if you're not sure, get I would recommend going to see your doctor as this has to be treated with prescription antibiotics.

    Urinary tract infections (UTI's) are due to bacteria infecting the urethra rather than the vagina. UTI's can be fairly easily distinguished from vaginal infections by a host of symptoms, including pain or burning when urinating, blood or mucus in urine, needing to urinate often, pain or pressure in back or lower abdomen and a fever or chills. If you think you might have a UTI, don't delay, go see your doctor, because the infection can travel up past the bladder, causing kidney damage.

    Another type of infection called trichomoniasis is caused by a parasite that can infect both the vagina and the urinary tract, and is primarily sexually transmitted. If you have a trichomoniasis infection, your vagina can be itchy or painful, it can hurt to urinate, intercourse can be painful, and occasionally you can experience pain in your lower abdomen. Again, you have to see a doctor to get antibiotics to treat this.

    I would recommend you see your doctor just to rule out any other infections and to get a proper diagnosis and proper treatment.

    Good luck :)

  • 4 years ago

    Hello, I'm on the second week and seeing definite improvement on my yeast infection symptoms:

    Note that: If the yeast infection doesn't respond to over the counter treatment, prescription medication will likely be necessary. Similarly, if the symptoms return after two months of being treated, you should contact the doctor for professional treatment rather than resorting again to home treatment.

    If this is the first time you have experienced a yeast infection, you should schedule an appointment to have the condition treated by a doctor instead of resorting to home treatment

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    It sounds like a yeast infection and unless you get rid off it, it won't go away. It may hide for a little while but eventually it will come back. I suffer from chronic urinary tract infections and the antibiotic to get rid of that causes yeast infections.. If you have insurance it would be best to ask your dr. for a prescription its less expensive and a LOT better. I take flucanozole <spell?> At the 1st sign and it clears right up. But if you don't want to ask the dr. just go get some monistat. Good luck and sorry I know they suck.

  • 4 years ago

    Holistic Yeast Infection Cure Secrets -

  • Kathy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    If it's a yeast infection and your boyfriend is passing it back to you, your boyfriend will have to treat himself for a yeast infection. That means applying monistat cream on his penis and surrounding area. Also, eat more yogurt or take acidophilus pills to prevent the yeasty beast.

  • 1 decade ago

    every women gets yeast infections, most go away on its own and some dont, and can lead to something more serious, such as cancer. you can get over the counter medicine like monostate if its mild. or you can go to your doctor or clinic such as planned parent hood and they can perscribe you medicine. its like $12 at planned parent hood, its a pill you take. hope you fell better.

    Source(s): myself
  • onlyme
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Are you so sure of your relationship that it can't be an STD? Maybe you haven't!

    I've been there! Thought I was in a monogamous relationship, at least it was on my part!

    If it continues, I would see a doc!

  • 3 years ago

    Yeast Infection Cure Secrets -

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.