Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 decade ago

How can we remodel our kitchen cabinets?

Our cabinets are cheap probably 3/4 in painted mdf doors. they are just flat rectangle doors. They have no character. They are painted with any oil based white paint. Is there anything we can do to give them some character without totally replacing them?

Favorite Answer

I had cabinets like this once and I went to Lowes and bought trim that I liked and a small mitre box. I mitered the corners on the trim pieces and put them around the outside edges of the doors I attached these pieces with the tiniest nails possible and used a filler to fill the holes. I also put new handles on the doors. I painted the trim on the doors to match the door so it would look like it was part of the door (kind of like a raised panel door in reverse) It turned out awesome and everyone thought I got new cabinets. Of course my cabinets were alot older and I think they were probably made of birch or something like that. They had several coats of paint on them so I actually stripped the doors with a stripper first and then repainted them white. You would probably not need to go to all of that trouble If there is only one or two coats of paint on them. If they are painted with an oil based paint you would need to lightly sand them and then use an oil based paint again without priming. This was actually a fun project for me and it is not hard to do. The difference will be amazing. Good luck!

You don't have to replace the whole cabinet, You can just replace the doors and hardware, if this would fit in your budget. You could get new doors and paint them any color you like. If the cabinet frame is wood, you could strip the paint and install new wood doors and stain them beautifully.

• Chey

Update the hardware.

Add Some molding to the doors.

You might want to caulk around molding,wouldn't want anything to get behind it and ruin your work.

I personally feel it is not necessary to sand MDF, it is toxic when sanded.

Paint...Some latex paint require a primer first.

Consider a chalk board paint on a handy cabinet.

Or a post it area like removable cork,just frame. I saw some magnetic paints somewhere too...

The easiest and cheapest would be to repaint them an interesting color that matches your decor and find some really cool handle/pulls for them - you could also think about a fuax finish.

If you want to get more ambitious you could add a small milled frame trim and put a contrasting color paint or even a wall covering inside the trim - like a stile and rail door.

I know someone who bought an inexpensive miter box and a saw. She bought some moulding to her liking at the lumber yard (cheaper than the big chains) and dressed up the fronts. They look great, too. Come in about 3" or so, whatever would look good to you, and cut the moulding to length and tack it on using the largest nails necessary. Don't go too big on the nails or you'll see why! Put a coat of paint (use expensive!) and you're in business.

Hi, If you are in UK go to B & Q they have paint that re-vitalizes kitchen cabinet doors. They will give you lot's of advice on how to make them look better, i love B & Q they always give good advice.

A very simple solution is to go to your Home Depot store and they have cabinet door replacements. I've done this and people thought I replaced my cabinets with new ones.It' costs about 25% of what new ones would cost.

replace the hardware come up with a very different way of painting them or buy some small moulding and glue it to door than paint

maybe take a 1 inch strip around the edge and paint it a light cream color it will be a quick fix

• Leanne

Are you sure you want to paint them. Light oak is beautiful. All you need is a clear varnish. That way you you can choose tile and bench tops of what ever colour you fancy. Wood is great - allow it to show its beauty.