Can't Find Sprinkler Controller?

My husband and I purchased our first home in 2001. We've noticed automatic sprinkler heads in the front lawn since we've moved in. Our neighbor confirmed there's a sprinkler system installed because he and the original owner moved in at the same time & were good friends. Today we found a sprinkler... show more My husband and I purchased our first home in 2001. We've noticed automatic sprinkler heads in the front lawn since we've moved in. Our neighbor confirmed there's a sprinkler system installed because he and the original owner moved in at the same time & were good friends. Today we found a sprinkler control box just inside the fence in our side yard. It's a Rain King irrigation control box. The problem is that in 7 years of living here we've never found a Sprinkler Controller. We'd assumed it would be in the garage somewhere. How hard is it to get one installed since we know nothing about this system?
Update: The house was built in 1983. Would you consider that a newer install?
Update 2: Nevermind that was a stupid question since it was 25 years ago. :) I guess I'm stuck in the 80s!