Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Art/Music/Writing in The Harlem Renaissance?

A brief summary on the Art/Music/Writing in the Harlem Renaissance.

• xo379
    Best Answer

--"In the performing arts, black musical theater featured such accomplished artists as songwriter Bob Cole and composer J. Rosamond Johnson, brother of writer James Weldon Johnson. Jazz and blues music moved with black populations from the South and Midwest into the bars and cabarets of Harlem. In literature, the poetry of Paul Laurence Dunbar and the fiction of Charles W. Chesnutt in the late 1890s were among the earliest works of African Americans to receive national recognition. By the end of World War I the fiction of James Weldon Johnson and the poetry of Claude McKay anticipated the literature that would follow in the 1920s by describing the reality of black life in America and the struggle for racial identity."

"Some common themes existed, such as an interest in the roots of the 20th-century African American experience in Africa and the American South, and a strong sense of racial pride and desire for social and political equality. But the most characteristic aspect of the Harlem Renaissance was the diversity of its expression. "

"Diversity and experimentation also flourished in the performing arts and were reflected in the blues singing of Bessie Smith and in jazz music. Jazz ranged from the marriage of blues and ragtime by pianist Jelly Roll Morton to the instrumentation of bandleader Louis Armstrong and the orchestration of composer Duke Ellington. Artist Aaron Douglas adopted a deliberately “primitive” style and incorporated African images in his paintings and illustrations."

• Laura

This is what I do when I need a thesis. I just think about the subject I am studying and ask my self a question about it. I just think about it and ask myself what would I like to know more about. For instance, I wrote a paper about the Canterbury Tales, (the reeve's tale I think?) in which a window was a very important part of the story. I tried to picture the events in my head but I couldn't, so i asked myself, how did the architecture of this house make these events feasible? So my thesis was just my question in the form of a statement: The architecture of medieval homes allowed for the tales to be plausible to the medieval audience. Or something like that. I researched it, found lots of great books on medieval architecture and wrote 10 pages on the subject. I made an A--- and it was a 400 level course. I just thought I would tell a good way to approach it, so in the future you'll know what to do. Hope I helped.