Why is the Internal Revenue Service spending money on letters?

The Internal Revenue Service is spending $42 Million on letters to alert taxpayers to expect rebate checks as part of the economic stimulus plan. The notices are going out this month to an estimated 130 million households who filed returns for the 2006 tax year, at a cost $41.8 Million. Since this is just a letter and does not include a check, is it really needed?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because each government agency is charged with wasting a

certain amount of money each year, and this is the the way the IRS chose to do it.

:-o

Source(s): The + IRS = Theirs.....
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Maybe they want to avoid sending checks to households that did not receive the letter.

OK, so if they send out a letter and it comes back as undeliverable, they will not send out the check. The idea is that the check might get in the wrong hands. Of course the taxpayer would still be entitled to the money, but he might need to inform the IRS of his valid address before the IRS would mail out a check. I wish the IRS would just credit my bank account like they do with most refunds.

Source(s): Are you sure it is just a letter. Maybe they include a form that allows the taxpayer to specify that he would like his rebate direct deposited to his bank account. I'm always amazed at people who complain about government waste, but ignore the incredible amounts of money wasted by the military machine. We have a far larger military than we need for national defense.
  • 1 decade ago

No it is not needed, it is a waste of tax dollars. Where is the republican outrage? This information could have been disseminated by press release for almost no cost. It was done to make Bush look good. Typical borrow and spend Republican politics.

• dlk
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Seems like $42 Million waste of money to me. I believe it has been reported almost EVERYWHERE about the "stimulus" checks. Stupid is what stupid does..... That goes to the politicians of our country.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Like the IRS, the Post Office is also goverment-administered. They are like bunkmates.

• 1 decade ago

It is a ridiculous waste of money.

• xyz
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Because they have so much money if they don't move it around it will get moldy

• 1 decade ago

bush needed another pat on the back...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.