How long will it take to receive tax?

My friends refund was scheduled to be deposited yesterday but it never came. Anyways, we realized that we left the last 2 digits of the account off. Checked with the bank and they said that we need to call IRS and change the account number. By the way the one we entered was not a valid account (thank goodness)! My question is ... after we give them the right account will we be able to have direct deposited or will it come in the mail and how long?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When an ACH deposit is rejected by the bank it is returned to the IRS. They will process the refund for payment by check. Allow 3 to 4 weeks at least for the check to arrive.

The IRS will not allow you to change the routing number or account number once your return is filed. That's an anti-fraud measure and there is no way to get around it. Sorry.

FYI, bank account numbers include a check digit that will prevent messed up account numbers from being the same as a valid account number. On top of that, the name on the account must closely match the name on the deposit or the bank will also reject the deposit so even if you had a valid account number for someone else the bank would reject the deposit for the name mismatch.

Source(s): I work in the banking industry. We see hundreds of rejects every day and thousands on Thursday evenings when the IRS transactions come in.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.