Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

I thought Christians were so against Paganism but...?

They celebrate THEIR Holidays I wonder why...

oh and please if you are a Christian please answer nicely not rudely like last time :)

Favorite Answer

You'd think it ends there, wouldn't you?

Do a little research into the cross symbol.

Crucifixion? Nope. Notice that circle that is usually part of the cross symbol? That cross in particular, is what I'm referring to. A bare cross with no circle does relate to the crucifixion, but the one with the circle has some rather....interesting...origins.

EDIT: I've just begun the search for that same info I'm pointing you to, and I've dug up a name for that cross. It's called the celtic cross

((((hugs))))

*Look at Imacatholic's avatar in the top answerer list, and you'll see what I mean by the cross with the circle.*

Then go research it. From multiple sources.

• It's true that the date for Christmas and many, if not all, of the traditions associated with Christmas were pagan. But Easter (though the name for it was adopted from a pagan goddess) is an entirely Christian holiday (even though some of the traditions are also pagan).

It's just tradition. For the first three hundred years of Christianity's existence, it was heavily persecuted, so the Christians had no way of adopting their own holidays as a unified body. When Constantine "paganized" Christianity, he was able to give them a unified body. Of course this wasn't completely a good thing.

Anyway, seventeen hundred years later, we Christians still use the holidays that Constantine helped to change over, in order to make the conversion process easier...because it's tradition, and because it helped us once to be unified. Besides, as far as Jesus' birthday, we don't even know when that was anymore. I suppose the earliest Christians must have known, but that was a long time ago. Why change the date now? It's been too long.

So that's my two cents.

• Wendy

I have no idea. Christians bash the Pagans, yet don't hesitate to take part in Pagan Holidays. Many, if not ALL of the american holidays that are celebrated today were created by Pagans. Christmas is even a Pagan holiday! True Christianity does not promote the observance of ANY holidays whatsoever. We are to observe nothing or mark the time with any celebratory event. NOT EVEN YOUR OWN BIRTHDAY!!!! For more about this, see Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs and laws of the faith.

Does an atheist that celebrates Christmas violate their atheistic beliefs? I know you would say it is derived from pagan holidays, but in todays time it definately a "Christian" holiday.

All traditions are synthesized from older traditions... it is just a holiday. The Bible says nothing about celebrating Christmas, or Easter, etc.... these are just man-made holidays and pointless when it comes down to it.

• MSB

Holidays are what you make of them... you celebrate what you believe in, it is your holiday. What's important is what the day means to you when you celebrate it, not it's roots.

While Christmas and Easter have roots in ancient Pagan celebrations, they are not one in the same. Just like the secular Halloween is not the same as the Samhain or Dia de Los Muertos festivals. Just like the Wiccan Wheel of the Year is a reconstruction/reinvention, and not the actual ancient Pagan festivals of old.

Source(s): Wiccan/Pagan

Agreed, a great many of our holidays and symbols are Christian/Pagan hybreds.

It happened as a way to soften the resistance of the people of whatever area to the idea of Christianity. I am reasonably sure the thought was that once conversion happened, they could weed out the Pagan parts.

Instead of that, the Pagan celebration dates, the Pagan symbols and such became part of Christianity.

It doesn't bother me because "All things can be used for good." according to the bible.

(that's about as nice as I can be today. I hurt my leg and am a little cranky)

Hey, hey! I am a Christian and am not against paganism at all. I'm pro-pagans. They're cool.

my husband is christian, and he's married to a pagan, We get along just fine. Nothin' says lovin' like somethin' from the coven...

So Mote It Be

• Serena

Because all modern religions are syncretic to some extent. Just some religious traditions don't like to admit that.

So your telling me because I'm Christian, I can't have a nice winter holiday?