Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Poll: Have you ever had someone close to you severely injured or killed by a drunk driver???

Just curious....

I lost my beloved first cousin Jedidiah, to a drunk driver while I was pregnant with my youngest....and due to my high risk pregnancy I was not allowed to go out of state for his funeral.... Last night I received a phone call from my uncle (his Daddy) and we talked about our Jed....and how much we miss him... I suppose some wounds were opened up....I miss him more than usual today....

Peace.

JT it takes a lot of guts to be willing to admit that. I admire someone that can admit a wrong. At least you are not a hypocrite and I respect that.

Peace.

Folks I lost Jed over 6 years ago....

Peace.

Best Answer

wow, dear I'm so sorry to hear that. I pray for you to be blessed and calm. I've never lost one like that, but I've lost some just as tragically. I pray for JT too. He's a good guy that should be forgiven. He should forgive but never forget.

I am fairly sure I have not. As I may have mentioned before, I was hit by a Land Rover while trying to cross a busy road outside our house when I was 14....but I am fairly sure there was no alcohol involved....and at the time, I was convinced it was my fault.....as the pedestrian who should have been concentrating more fully on trying to get across the road. I did have a school friend who lost her older sister in a road accident which I *think* was caused by a drunk driver when I was a teenager....but I was not particularly close to this school friend of mine....and I hardly knew her sister at all.

I can hardly imagine what something like this must be like for a family to go through.

• Wendy

Fortunately no. But I have been in two accidents with irresponsible/stupid drivers. I think they are the biggest threat of all. My first accident was a hit and run. The woman simply turned the corner before I was out of the intersection. She stopped long enough to make sure she didn't kill anyone, and then she took off. I suspect she didn't have insurance. I was 19 at the time. My mom, (then future) brother-in-law, and sister were in the car with me, and we were looking for wedding dresses for my sister. My sister and brother-in-law ran down the street after her, but her license plate was bent, so they couldn't read it. She was an older woman in her 40s or 50s. She knew better. My mother wrenched her back, but she was OK. My second accident was someone whose glasses had fallen off at 35 mph. Instead of slowing down and pulling over, he continued ahead and ran right into the stopped cars in front of him. That car hit the next, which hit the next, which hit me. Fortunately, I was the end of the line. My best friend had had nose surgery just a few days prior, and she had turned around to see what happened behind us before the car hit us. She bashed her face on the headrest. Fortunately, she was OK as well. My father, the retired police officer, has seen MANY an accident where it was simple irresponsibility and stupidity that hurt or killed someone. He insisted that I not carry others around in my car with me because he didn't want them to be hurt while in my car because of OTHER people. And the number of students I have who have been hit or hit others. One of my students slid on the ice, hit a police car, and then blamed me for it because I forgot to send out an e-mail that class was canceled. All I could think was . . . . guess you should be a better driver and, oh, SLOW DOWN on the ice. I get so worked up because it isn't hard to be a conscientious driver. If you anticipate what other people can do, you can save yourself and others. It happens to me on a daily basis. I'm on both Interstates 35 and 80 a lot which means I encounter a lot of drivers from all over the country (the two intersect in Des Moines). I cannot tell you the number of things I see daily, and the number of accidents I've avoided by just paying attention. And I even talk on my cell phone when driving. :P /rant

• kj

I feel your pain, sweetie, and I'm terribly sorry for your family's loss. While I have lost people I care about due to accidents or illnesses, I can say I've never lost anyone specifically because of a drunk driver. But I don't think the cause matters much. I know what it is to loose someone. If we love them, then we will always miss them. But I also know that they will always be with me. They are all alive and well in my heart.

I had a really good friend of mine that was murdered by her ex-boyfriend, it wasn't a drinking and driving accident, but he was on something, he went into her house beat up her and her 14 year old son, the boy managed to get a knife and stab the ex-boyfriend trying to defend his mother, he ran out the front door to call the police and while he was running across the front yard he heard a gunshot. The ex-boyfriend then killed himself... She didn't deserve that, and was such a nice person, and yes I do miss her a lot, not a day goes by that I don't think about her....

Thankfully i have not but i feel for every parent & every family who has lost a loved one .. I know a couple of guys banned for drink driving and i dislike them with a passion , the worst thing is they have little boys of their own !

It s bad enough to suffer a bereavement but its alot worse when it could have been prevented if the fkin idiot drivers had an ounce of common sense and got a taxi home !

• Starr

Yes. When I was in high school I had a really good friend who was killed by a drunk driver. Another of my friends was severely injured, and he has never really been the same since.

Yes; my beloved was taken in a violent auto accident with a drunk driver.It was only by the Grace and Power of The Most High that i was able to help this man become a sober human being and help him to move on to better things. By this experience i, too, have been able to move on.

I never have, but I know enough people who have, and my girlfriend's niece lost one of her best friends after she was killed by a drunk driver who went through a red light... I spent a few years teaching traffic school, and I have seen video upon video of the effects of drunk driving... there is no excuse for someone who does that... least of all celebrities who do it repeatedly.

My grandfather was killed by a drunk driver.

I just wish people would make better decisions about that.

I know it's easy to make mistakes, but it seems like more often than not, it's not the drunk driver that gets hurt the most.

Peace be with you.