who would be the greatest rock album producer of all time?

Favorite Answer

Tom Dowd ~ Producer of: Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rod Stewart, Wishbone Ash, Cream, Chicago, The Allman Brothers Band, Joe Bonamassa, The J. Geils Band, Meat Loaf, Sonny & Cher, The Rascals, Willie Nelson, Diana Ross, Kenny Loggins, James Gang, Dusty Springfield, Eddie Harris, Booker T. and the MGs, The Drifters, Otis Redding, The Coasters, Bobby Darin, Aretha Franklin and Ruth Brown.

Great documentary film: Tom Dowd and the Language of Music

Source(s): Own the film / list of band names from Wikipedia

I'm going to interpret your question my own way, so that I can give a biased opinion without having it in the inevitable debate. I think the "greatest rock album ever" was "Hwy. 61 Re-Visited" Dylan 1965. The producer was Bob Johnston. Just playing : )

Probably say Spector for a straight answer. Tough to rule out George Martin, Sam Phillips, Eddie Kramer, Tom Doud.

• Definitely Eddie Kramer! What a career- Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, KISS, the Beatles, Traffic, the Rolling Stones, Peter Frampton, David Bowie, Joe Cocker, Santana, Anthrax, Robin Trower, Eric Clapton, etc etc, and also did the recording for Woodstock. Nobody can touch his legacy.

you have sturdy flavor.... it is my 5, a minimum of for the temper i'm in suitable now. a million Revolver - The Beatles 2 Sgt. Peppers -The Beatles 3 Led Zeppelin IV -Led Zeppelin 4 The doors - The doors 5 darkish area of the Moon - pink Floyd modern shout outs to: Ten -Pearl Jam The Joshua Tree - U2 The Bends - Radiohead Disintegration - The therapy urge for nutrition for Destruction - weapons N Roses

• Huevo

I'm going with Rick Rubin.

Artists as diverse as Slayer, The Dixie Chicks, THe Chili Peppers, The Beastie Boys, Johnny Cash, and Neil Diamond amongst others.

And a lot of them put out their best album under him.

Gotta go to Sir George Martin.

Without him, The Beatles could not've pulled off half their ideas in the later years.

Mutt Lange

Glyn & Andy Johns

Rick Rubin

My favorites

its a throw up between George Martin and Phil Spector. heads its George tails its Phil. toss a coin and you'll have the answer!!

in no particular order:

rick rubin

george martin

phil spector

sam phillips