Explaining breastfeeding to older children?

I think I'm doing a pretty good job explaining breastfeeding to my 6-year old; he understands what I am doing, and why. He's even gotten a bit defensive when my fiancee will yell for me from a different part of the house, and holler back "She's trying to feed the baby; you'll have to... show more I think I'm doing a pretty good job explaining breastfeeding to my 6-year old; he understands what I am doing, and why. He's even gotten a bit defensive when my fiancee will yell for me from a different part of the house, and holler back "She's trying to feed the baby; you'll have to wait!".

Just wondering how other moms of older kids go about this...what language do you use? Do you make an effort to be discreet when nursing at home in front of an older kid? How's it work for you, in an overall sense?

Thanks to all who share experience and input
10 answers