ADA purpose?

someone commented in another answer that the original intent of the ADA has been misconstued

What was the original intent and how is it misconstrued.

From what I have experienced people think the ADA is only about ramps, sign language, and braille.
Update: From what I remember the ADA clearly states that reasonable time off to deal with medical issues (such as taking insulin and checking blood sugar/snacking) must be given
Update 2: I have an invisiable disability-and have been denied reasonable accommodations-and ignored by the government-I've also seen discrimination against people with mild cognitive impairments-because the employees are 'uncomfortable' around people who are different--- I just can't seem to get people to... show more I have an invisiable disability-and have been denied reasonable accommodations-and ignored by the government-I've also seen discrimination against people with mild cognitive impairments-because the employees are 'uncomfortable' around people who are different---

I just can't seem to get people to understand that ADA is about more than physical barriers-I was beginning to think I am the one that is wrong.
Update 3: I have read studies and quoted the ADA-have the booklets-studied many websites, etc..... If you read the question-it is about other people not understanding the ADA and refusing to learn about it-other people thinking it is aonly about physical barriers such as steps.....My problem is that I seem to be in the... show more I have read studies and quoted the ADA-have the booklets-studied many websites, etc.....

If you read the question-it is about other people not understanding the ADA and refusing to learn about it-other people thinking it is aonly about physical barriers such as steps.....My problem is that I seem to be in the minority of people that know it is more than that---and am up against the majority that thinks they must be right because there are more of them.....