Anonymous

ADA purpose?

someone commented in another answer that the original intent of the ADA has been misconstued

What was the original intent and how is it misconstrued.

From what I have experienced people think the ADA is only about ramps, sign language, and braille.

From what I remember the ADA clearly states that reasonable time off to deal with medical issues (such as taking insulin and checking blood sugar/snacking) must be given

I have an invisiable disability-and have been denied reasonable accommodations-and ignored by the government-I've also seen discrimination against people with mild cognitive impairments-because the employees are 'uncomfortable' around people who are different---

I just can't seem to get people to understand that ADA is about more than physical barriers-I was beginning to think I am the one that is wrong.

I have read studies and quoted the ADA-have the booklets-studied many websites, etc.....

If you read the question-it is about other people not understanding the ADA and refusing to learn about it-other people thinking it is aonly about physical barriers such as steps.....My problem is that I seem to be in the minority of people that know it is more than that---and am up against the majority that thinks they must be right because there are more of them.....

Favorite Answer

ADA is suppose to protect the civil rights of the disabled, INCLUDING protecting the disabled from pay and job discrimination, but I found out on at least two occasions that the ADA of 1990 is a load of sh*t and nothing more.

The first time occurred back in December,1992, after having the pleasure of being told by my US Congressman, the Dishonorable Herb Bateman of Virginia, "The disabled have no rights to live much less deserve equal protection under the law" all because I had the nerve to question a discriminatory that dates back to 1938 that grants employers the right to pay the disabled employees below minimum wage.

The second time occurred 12 years later, in November, 2004, and after breaking my left elbow at work 6 months earlier, I had the pleasure of being not only called "An extremely simple man" by the Communist-Wealth of Virginia but I also having the pleasure of being told by this ever-so-wonderful state "You need to stick to jobs that you know how to do because he lacks the mentality to do much of anything else". This means cleaning up after the "normal people of society" all because of my speech impairment, despite having 5 years computer experience with a prior job, and was working at Siemens as a machinist at the time, since September at that, where apparently they thought that I could do more than "Scrub some sh*tty, nasty *ss toilet for a living."

These two incidents that happened to me not only goes totally against what the ADA is suppose to protect but it also proves just how hypocritical the government really is. This is just my thoughts about the ADA and this why I think "The ADA of 1990 is a load of sh*t and nothing more."

The ADA was originally written by a U.S. Representative who had epilepsy, which is considered an 'invisible disability' since people do not see you as being a person with epilepsy unless you are in the middle of a seizure.

The ADA only requires reasonable public accommodation. Where people get upset and then confused about the purpose and effect of this law is trying to decide what the definition of reasonable is.

Deciding to add a ramp to a building is an obvious if a solution which requires money. But accomodating a person with epilepsy at that workplace would actually cost nothing! Coworkers would just be told not to restrain the person during a seizure or put anything in their mouth. After the seizure, that person could resume their work.

People who would have no problem complying with other non-discrimination statues get uncomfortable when they are asked to comply with the ADA and provide accomodations.

This civil rights law is percieved to be an 'extra' rather than addressing real-life legitimate issues. Unlike public school special education, employers are not obligated to accomodate every single person with every disability who applies for a job. Only the candidate who can successfully perform the advertised position with a reasonable accomodation has to be considered.

I have found that local-state agencies can vary in their enforcement. But the Federal Government makes sure that the statue is being complied with, when alerted to violations via a detailed letter.

The ADA is a a set of laws and regulations that were intended to help accommodate those with limitations. Most people seem to only be aware of the ADAAG, the environmental guidelines that dictate ramps, signage, etc.

It is much more than that. I am proud of you for being so familiar with the code and how the ADA affects all aspects of life (employer responsibilities, etc). You may never stop educating those around you about this. Remember that people know the most about things that affect them, and nothing about things that don't. If they don't have a disability or know someone who does, they aren't going to understand the ADA.

I think one of the biggest reasons why most people think it is all about the building codes is because this is what costs people the most money. It's when cities have to re-do all of the corners of sidewalks because the ramps are missing or do not meet code that we hear about ADA again.

What we must do (anyone who is directly affected) is remind people that our disabilities don't just affect our mobility. We're reminded about it by almost everything we do, and that is why there is the ADA.

Source(s): Interior Designer and diagnosed with LGMD

The ADA is not about ramps, sign language, and Braille. It is about civil rights. People with disabilities have the same civil rights as people without disabilties (edited this put in wrong word.).

When it was decided that people who are black and white should be able to use the same drinking fountain that was about civil rights.

When it was that women and men should get paid the same amount of money for the same job - that was about civil rights.

So when people with disabilities should have the same right to go inside a store as people without disabilities it is a civil right. when people with disabilities should have the same right to go to a polling site and vote it is a civil right. The ADA is about assuring people their civil rights.

What has been misconstrued about the ADA is that it is about giving special privileges to people with disabilities. It is not about special - it is about having access to the SAME.

What has also been misconstrued is who has a disability. A person who is diabetic is discriminated against because they are a diabetic. But then when they go to court to try to get the discrimination to stop they are told they are not disabled because the medication takes care of their diabetes. But the reason for the discrimination was needing an accommodation because they take medication for their diabetes. This was not the intention of the ADA. The intention was to provide access to employment for people with disabilities like diabetes without being discriminated against.

Source(s): Lillardlane - you are showing your ignorance by saying you have read the ADA and to request a copy of it. My work is enforcing the ADA and it is 5 enormous binders for the law, and 3 more for the technical specifications. I doubt many have read it all. I have read quite a lot of it, not all. What you might have read is a synopsis or the outline or the ADA in brief or even possibly the ADA technical manuals - but it is a very very lengthy document, and it is very technical and detailed. Much of it is open to different interpretations. Specialists in the ADA disagree over what some parts mean. But everyone does agree it is a civil rights document and not about providing special services.
  • Lane

Maybe you should request a copy of the American Disabilities Act and read and study it as it is a very important political act for all Disabilities. It does cover many different areas and it is too vast to simply state in one short E-Mail note. This ADA can be read and studied in free public records. So, Google it and read and study it! I hope the best!

Source(s): I have read and studied the American Dsabilities Act!

I have FIBROMYALGIA , Seizures and Migraines which are ALL Invisible Diseases, but FMS has been labled THE INVISIBLE DISEASE

I know where youre comin from. It sux!

Days when i can barely walk into the store......i have a handicapped license and i SELDOM use it , but once i was bent over in pain and exhaustion and this old woman glares at me (saw my kids) and tells me to "Move my car?"

I was so out of breath, i merely pointed to my plate and shuffled on in to the store. Her mouth gaped wide open

Its like i look prim and proper and healthy and slim so that means im not in pain?? it SUX!!!

And ADA DOES stand for something and you SHOULD read it......my DR wrote me a handicap parking ticket one day when he saw me in a restaruant! LOL

Yeah...he saw how much effort and pain i was in ...says hi to me...............and the next day his office called and issued it.

The ADA is solely about lawyers jobs and make work plundering employers. It turned the disabled lawsuits on wheels. Only a suicidal, idiotic employer would ever hire one, thanks to the lawyer. They are unemployable, thanks to the lawyer. It markedly decreased disabled employment.

Billions were wasted on ramps and sidewalk cutouts. I have never seen a person in a wheel chair use one. I have seen 100 skateboard punks use them to blow by people without slowing down.

What a catastrophe for the nation and for the disabled. It needs repeal.

we are need rights for our disabilities

I don't get civil rights very well when come to disability.

Employer has a good way to be deceptive. "Position is filled.... good bye..."

*Sigh :(