Seniors: Have you ever watched the "Jay Walking" segment on the Jay Leno late night show?

Jay will ask passing pedestrians, questions concerning incumbent political figures and candidates running for office. He will even show pictures of these political figures and ask the people who they are. Time and again, I have seen some people from their teens to people possibly well into their 30's and 40's, who cannot name these famous politicians. Yet, if he should get someone in their 50's, 60's, 70's on up, they can rattle off nearly every name asked of them and can indentify any picture shown to them. Is it that younger generations just don't care about politics, or are they too tied up in their techno worlds to really worry about it ? The scary thing is, these are people that are actually voting in elections that will ultimately affect them and their future generations, and they really don't have a clue as to what's going on. Am I the only one who has noticed this trend ? (I'm not "bashing", I'm just curious...and yes, I know, I'm generalizing).

OR...could it be that the show is edited in such a way as to show a skewed representation of a certain segment of the population ? That's why I'm posing the question to others.

Favorite Answer

Yes, I have seen it, like it, and yes, it is edited. They pick the stupidest answers, because if the person answered correctly, it would not be funny. Sadly, so much of what we see in the media is touched-up, air-brushed, edited and presented as fact that it is best to enjoy something and move on. Nothing is real other than reality.

Young people are tied up in their techno products, but there are also those who use these things to learn. You just won't see them on Jay Leno's show. It doesn't get ratings.

No young people are no longer required to have current events and haven't been for about the last 20 years. Kids have their own tvs, entertainment units, phones, ipods etc so they're in their rooms, they 've never been exposed to various programming on tv and radio the way those 50 plus were.

It's not just Americans , Canadians under 40 aren't exactly knowledgeable about general knowledge , the history and geography, literature of Canada either.

I don't think it's editted that way Canadian comedian Rick Mercer had a program a few years back called Talking to Americans. It was scary how little even those elite Harvard Professors knew about Canada.

To young doctor, what a cop out to say show me the significance of knowing about anything in my country. Shame on you, you're a citizen here . As a doctor I realize you're run off your feet, but doctors are human beings too and NOT GODS as their professors lead them to believe. Knowing more about the world and not just the US makes you a smarter, more empathetic person and professional.

• CJ

It is not funny and it is very sad! I think (hope) that there is some editing done by Jay's people! Good grief - if my grandchildren were asked these questions - they would know the answers! As hard as our Govt tries - they cannot educate the entire country. Especially not about politics - but I have to add that Jay does not limit questions to politicians - many are now-dead famous movie stars and other notables!

CJ

Yes I watch and just shake my head. It's amazing how much some people don't know. Many are in college or have graduated and can't tell you where various cities and countries are. They don't know who the Vice President is. One night one person though Fidel Castro ran Porto Rico! One young woman was a teacher and couldn't say where Europe was! It's downright scary. One night he interviewed a family of five, parents, teens, and the grandfather. The grandfather was the only one that knew the answers.

I'm younger, I follow politics in my leisure. If you can show me the importance on staying on top of things and the difference it will make in my life show me. I have a pretty well understanding of how our country runs, I will never gain a deep appreciation for it, and that is my choice. I am studying medicine and healthcare, when all of the seniors are dying in the hospital with minimal understanding of biology what will it matter that I don't know anything about who lost the election for president of the united states in 1988?

Yes. It makes me weep. Especially when the person being questioned alleges employment or future employment as a teacher.

I have the same reaction when I read some of the questions posted on YA in the military and history sections.

If you will notice, many of the younger people cannot answer correctly on many subjects. I sit and watch the segment, answering many of the questions correctly, but the people on the show miss them all. Of course, in search of "quality" entertainment, I wonder if Jay just does not put on the smart people.

Jay Leno is the late night god!!!!! Obrian just makes noises and says the same joke every single day.

• Bob H

Sure, but it doesn't bother me. Eight years ago I watched a similar show with Bush as guest. Trouble is, I thought it was a comedy like Jay Leno. It never occurred to me, that anyone that toasted could be taken seriously. Absurd.

I think it's due to the California dont give a damn attitutde. Guess their schools spend more tiime teaching acting then education.

I find it hard to believe that some of those people are teachers.