promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

are green lasers illegal in los angeles?

I have a green laser that's very bright and goes very far up in the night sky. i know you're not supposed to point it at people, cars and planes, but is it illegal to point it to the sky and other objects?

Update:

whoa that sucks a lot, and i was having fun pointing at clouds and stuff

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is not just in LA that these devices are illegal, it is the State of California than has laws regarding these devises... check the following Penal Codes at the first website cited; 247.5, 288, & 417.27(c).

The penalty for hitting an aircraft: a few $K out of pocket, and up to 3 yrs in prison.

The problem is that these lasers, when they hit the windshield of an aircraft, are refracted throughout the entire cabin. This causes temporary blindness in the pilot and co-pilot. "It blurs a pilot's vision, which is the first danger," said Lt. Michael Mullen, who oversees sheriff's helicopter operations at John Wayne Airport. "Then there is the danger for a pilot of trying to determine where the light is coming from, whether it's from the ground or another aircraft that's posing a danger."

Also, if the aircraft is a commercial or law enforcement aircraft, the FBI can prosecute under the Patriot Act, with a maximum penalty of 20 years in Federal Prison a la all the fun benefits there...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

to clarify things, the lazar itself is perfectly legal to own, buy, sell, point into the sky in Los Angeles and the state of California., it is very illegal to point it at aircraft, in people's windows of their homes and cars or at a person especially the head area.

let's use some common sense, anyone can buy a green 5mw lazar at the local electronics store so they are legal and to use just a little more common sense, you hold in your hand a device that clearly states on it that it can harm your eyes, even cause blindness, so, are you going to point it at an aircraft in which the pilots must see to land or all will be killed? Charles Manson would but not you and I, I urge everyone to stop and think about what they do before they do it and look for the obvious. There is a safe way to do most anything, example: How do you light of fireworks (class C) with out burning down the forest or the houses? go to a dry lake bed, last I checked dirt does not burn, and pack out what you pack in,

• Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Yes! I live in Elysian Park which is about 5-10 minutes away from downtown LA. There's a Lot of traffic early in the morning around 6 am and 5-6pm. If you go up to elysian park you can see Downtown really clear and also the Dodger Stadium! It's a really nice view =) Just a little info I wanted to provide =)

• 1 decade ago

I live in Los Angeles but never heard of a law which prohibits such action. check out some government website to make sure

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Lasers are OK, but you need a license to carry a concealed laser.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The same question shows up again

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes it is illegal, even if it's just on the sky it can reflect on planes.

And people can even get in prison or get a heavy fine.

• 1 decade ago

hell yeah Clark f the police

• 1 decade ago

yes

• 1 decade ago

If you point is right in hulks eye!!! He gets really pissed, then wrecks everything!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.