Prophet Muhammad's(pbuh) Birthday and Muharram?

Why do Pakistani people celebrate the Prophet Muhammad's(pbuh) birthday and Muharram? If Prophet Muhammad didn't tell us to celebrate these days then isn't doing so haram? I think that celebrating Prophet Muhammad's(pbuh) birthday is only for those who do not think of him each and everyday of their lives. I have even heard of Pakistanis making special dinners on the day of Prophet Muhammad's(pbuh) death. And also recognizing the day that his Grandson Hussane died as having religious signifigance. I think that if you want to celebrate holidays that have nothing to do with religion than thats fine(example: a country's national day) but making up religious holidays is haram. Can someone tell me about the Pakistani's traditions and customs and what they think of celebration or recognition of these days?

Update:

Maria and None of your Business:

Thank you so much for the hadith that supports my point.

Update 2:

S_H(I was Princess) and Zeinab:

Thank you so much for the information about shia Islam. Its nice to know other's view points and what they believe. thanks :)

Update 3:

The shia girl from Iran made a good point that not everything that is not sunnah is haram. Such as the Prophet (saw) did not wear glasses but it is not harram to wear glasses. Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: "If somebody tries to introduce into this faith of ours (Islam) something which is not a part of it, it is to be rejected and that person is condemned," He also said, "The worst of all affairs are the newly invented matters (in the religion) Every newly invented matter is a Bidah (or accursed inevation) Every Bidah is misgudiance and every misguidance is to the hell fire." Therefore if we want to do something that the Prophet Muhammad(saw) did not do but also did not tell us is harram thats ok. But if it involves adding religious things such as celebrations, that is haram.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • nazof
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I am a Pakistani and I think these days should not be recognized.

The prophet didn't make a deal out of his birthday,neither did his sahaba so why should we start something on our own.Its definitely haram

As far as the mourning of shahadah of hussain is concerned,Islam doesn't allow us to mourn a death for more than 3 days let alone mourn a shahadah.

Whats more important is to revive their teachings and make our whole efforts in the implementation of Islam.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

THis issue that you have raised and the shia girl has confused is the issue of B'idah or inervation.

Bidah in arabic has two meaning.

1.linguistinc - anything new that is made for aspect of the world. for example the car or as the shia girl sited the glases. It is a worldy inervation and therefore nothing wrong with it.

2. religious - this is to add something into the religion with a claim that it is from the religion or that it is good for the religion.

So those who addd things such as celebrating the prophets birthday have inervated into the religion. And the prophet Muhammed has said:

"The worst of all affairs are the newly invented matters (in the religion) Every newly invented matter is a Bidah (or accursed inevation) Every Bidah is misgudiance and every misguidance is to the hell fire."

And finally the point that Allah has said in the Quran to the effect of Islam is the perfect religion.

In conclusion nothing needs to be added or taken away from the religion because it is perfect. And we trust the prophet and that;s why we dnt takee anything away from the religion or add anything to it.

• 1 decade ago

Dear,

Assalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahhi Wabarakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

Prophet and Apostle Muhammad Sallallahhu'alaihi Wassalam birthday's on 12 Rabiul Awal.

Prophet and Apostle Muhammad was born on Monday 12 Rabiul Awal, 570 A. D. in Mecca. The year of Elephant. My country Malaysia, celebrate The Prophet Muhammad Salllallahhu'alaihi Wassalam birthday. We are on holiday on the Prophet's birthday. Malaysia is a Muslim State.

Is NOT HARAM to celebrate Prophet Muhammad's birthday.

Is NOT HARAM to Celebrate 1st, Muharam.

Wabillahhitaufiq Walhidayah Wassalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahhi Wabarakatuh.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

im a pakistani and i know its a big thing amongt us

me personally am sitting on the fence

my dad at the moment is in pakistan and i know what they will be doing they have a get together of ppl who read the quran etc and then do a dua and then have food and food is also distrubuted to the orphanges etc

all pakistanis celebrate in diff ways somedont celebrate at all is it right or wrong i think it dependson the context in which you are celebrating it

if you gonna be more focused on the lavish food arrangements andextravagant clothes pplare wearing rather then the reading of the quraan i feel that is totally wrong

any way each to their own and we are not to judge we know what our intention is in our heart

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

33:40. Muhammad isn't the father of any of your adult males, yet (he's) the Messenger of Allah, and the Seal of the Prophets: and Allah has finished awareness of all issues. Ahmadies are made puzzled from the which potential of " Khaatam Annabiyyeen" - The seal of the prophets, it relatively is translated as, - A seal OR as - A rubber stamp this "rubber stamp" translation suits to Ahmadies , even with the indisputable fact that it would properly be an offence to our cherished prophet Sall Allah o Elehe Wassallam.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, I am not a Pakistani but sure do like the culture and tradition of Pakistan...

Well, celebrating the Prophet's birthday is like a sign of respect and happiness..

I dont find it haraam, and we dont celebrate it like blasting the home with rock music, and stuff...

jus a small family get together and a meal[dawat]

tc..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You should remember that every person celebrates a in a different way. In their way they are celebrating life itself..

it is a way to take time to enjoy all the gifts that he has brought upon the world.

Be tolerant of other and their be leaves but also

Bring forth the word of the profit so that others may know him

• pink
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Sunni Islam and Shia Islam both teach that Prophet Muhammad did indeed encourage the celebration of Milad.

The Birth of the Beloved of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) The need to love, venerate

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=354...

Is it permissible to celebrate the Prophet's birthday (Allah bless him and give him peace)?

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=175...

Sunnah.org has so many articles: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awww.su...

In Shia Islam, the ahadith from Prophet Muhammad referring to Muharram abound. We believe that not only did he prophesy the martyrdom of Imam Hussayn, but that the tradition of majalis was established by Lady Zaynab.

• 1 decade ago

If Prophet(pbuh) wished his birthday should be taken for a celebration, his companions or after genrations would have done it and known it. But history says, this practice was started centuries later after his death. Indeed Prophet's birth was the greatest blessings for all the worlds. He is sent as a Mercy unto worlds. I know many people do this in love of their messenger. They want to show their love. The Christians do to Jesus Christ (pbuh) because they love him more than what he told him. The true love is that we follow our beloved Prophet (pbuh). Follow his ways as much as you can even in daily ruitines. Prophet (pbuh) will be more pleased by following a Sunna of him at this times of trial. Celbrate his birth everyday by sending him 'Swalath'. Why to make it a specific for12th of Rabiul Awal on which day he passed away from this world. Also we all know that celebration in Islam are by doing more good deeds and not light and candles which most of those celebrators do. So do more good deeds and send as much 'Swalath' upon the Final Messenger as one can in this blessed month.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Pakistani people celebrates Muhammad (p.b.u.h.)'s birthday in order to show their Love to him. Ok, respect their love for him.but why Celebrating it on Muhammad (saw)'s birthday only when birthdays are not allowed in Islam? this is due to lack of understanding of the right teachings of Islam. they can read as much as salate ibrahimi (sarood shareef) they want. its always good.

Celebrating birthdays, special dinners etc etc are not allowed, as we cannot see any Islamic evidence in its regard. so we should avoid it.

Allah Says (Interpretation of meaning): (Say (O Muhammad to mankind), If you (really) love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful).[ 3:31].

Muhammad (saw) said: "If somebody tries to introduce into this faith of ours (Islam) something which is not a part of it, is to be rejected and that person is condemned"

Rest Allah knows the best~!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.