Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Can I use nailpolish to cover a scratch on my car?

I have a red '93 celica convertible, and few weeks ago when a guy was jumping my car he put the cables on wrong and there was a slight explosion.. Everything starting smoking and then the cables melted onto the cars and onto the sidewalk. ..It was quite scary!

Now I have a few deep indents on the front of my car where the cables melted through and I do not want to pay a lot to get it covered up. Would nail polish work to at least make it less noticeable and red again??

• Brad G
    Favorite Answer

Actually its one of the best things to do if you dont want to get the damage sanded out and repainted! Nail polish comes in a zillion colors so you can find a match for your car, its made from enamel paints so it dries with a very hard shell. AND it will seal the scratch from rusting and causing more damage

It is good to use nail polish temporarily to keep the elements from rusting the scratch but it doesn't last long. You'll have to keep an eye out on it. DuPont makes a great touch up bottle that is like a ball point pen on one end and a small brush on the other. Best ten bucks I ever spent.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awqak

Get some touch up paint from any car care place or auto-body shop supply store. another thing you can do is polishing but that only fixes of minor scratches and other small imperfections., Touch up paint is really the best thing you can do unless you want to repaint the whole vehicle.

yes you can , but paint on the first coat , let it dry for 1 hour and then `rub back` with an ordinary kitchen scouring pad and straight kitchen detergent , then wash off with clean water.

do this 2 times and you should be able to `match` the current "age" of your paint-work , almost success-fully (dependant on the age of the paint).

this IS much cheaper than going to a Paint-shop and you can say that you`ve mastered some-thing , all by your-self and you can look good to your Mates , as well.

big PS....don`t let that Clown (who did the `Damage`) near your car , again.

send him a "how to" card , from your local Bunnings Ware-house that describes the Fundamentals of Electricity (motor vehicle) and the Principles of Correct Connections of.....AND charge him a bottle of decent/good Scotch/Rum or 2 x cartons (30 packs) of full strength beer , for your troubles...!

OR , give me his addresss and i will , for the Info. supplied...!!!

Source(s): 30+ yrs. DIY.
  • Zsasha

Not sure how deep the scratches are but you can definitely use nail polish to cover scratches...I did that before. Just make sure you put at least 2- 3 coats of it and let it completely dry before you put the next coat.

You could go to the dealership and buy a little brush on bottle of paint for like $10 and I'm guessing it's still the factory paint color so the paint would match better.

u can, but you can get a small bottle of touch up paint for like 5 bucks at the car parts store, and it would be a perfect match in color

just go buy some touch up paint that way you are certain to get a damn close to perfect color match

i have used my moms clear nailpolish to cover/seal cracks, to prevent rusting until i can get them fixed

this is a hilarious & awesome question. i used whtie out one time on a pair of sheos baahaha.