Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

SERIOUS QUESTION, need serious opinions?

My boyfriend & I had sex last night. When we were finished we realized that the condom had slipped out and stayed in me. This morning we decided to go buy a 'morning after' pill just in case. Is this ALL I can do at this point? Besides going to a doctor? Is the pill effective? If you've been in this situation, let me know! PLEASE!

I did use take the PLAN B pill? If anyone has taken it, does it make your period come faster, or does it delay it? Or is it just different for everyone?

Best Answer

You bought the pill, now take it. Be more careful next time!

Aug. 24, 2006 -- The FDA has approved Plan B, the so-called morning-after emergency contraceptive, to be sold without prescription to women age 18 and older.

Plan B's maker, Barr Pharmaceuticals, expects to introduce over-the-counter sales to women 18 and older by the end of the year.

To get Plan B, women will have to go to a pharmacy that has health care professionals on staff. The packages won't be in store aisles.

"Because Plan B will remain a prescription product for women 17 and younger, it will be sold in retail pharmacy outlets from behind the counter," Barr said, in a news release.

The drug company plans to work closely with pharmacies and wholesalers to make sure the age restriction is observed.

In a media teleconference, the FDA's Steven Galson, MD, MPH, explained why the age limit was set at age 18. "There are other prescription products, like nicotine replacement products, that require that age. And we thought for this program to practically work, the age 18 made sense. We didn't want to put in place a more complicated regime that might risk the program falling apart," he says. Galson directs the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

How to Use Plan B

There are nearly 3 million unintended pregnancies each year in the U.S., according to Barr, and Plan B could help prevent some of them.

Plan B should be taken as soon as possible after unprotected intercourse. When Plan B is taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse, studies show the risk of pregnancy decreases from 8% to 1%. The pill's effectiveness declines the longer a woman waits to use it; it is even more effective when taken in the first 24 hours after intercourse.

What Plan B Is and Isn't

Plan B is an emergency contraceptive. That means it's supposed to be used only as a backup plan when a couple has unprotected sex or when other contraceptive methods fail. Plan B should not be used as routine contraception and does not protect against HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Plan B is one of two approved emergency contraceptives. The other is Preven from Gynetics Inc. Gynetics has not asked for over-the-counter status, so today's FDA action applies only to Plan B.

Plan B works like other birth control pills to prevent pregnancy. Plan B acts primary by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary. It may prevent a sperm from fertilizing the egg.

If fertilization does occur, Plan B may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching the womb. If a fertilized egg is implanted prior totaking Plan B, it will not work and pregnancy proceeds normally.

Plan B is not the same as RU-486, the so-called "abortion pill," which causes a chemical abortion after pregnancy occurs

The morning after pill is very effective. My cousin has been in a similar situation twice, and she said it worked. There's not much else you can do, until you miss your period. Then you should go see a doctor or take an at home pregnancy test. Until then, holding off on sex would probably be best. Good luck :)

Have you been on the pill? If not, then no, just taking the pill is useless at that point. The morning after pill is your best bet. As far as I know there is nothing else you can do. That's what the morning after pill is for. If you get pregnant ... well, you know what your options are then.

I hope you fished that condom out by now, or you're headed for a wicked infection scenario! Sorry to say, there's nothing you can do now, except for the morning after pill. If you do get pregnant, of course, there will be other choices for you to make.

Sorry -- I know the link below is a teen's site, but the info is good nonetheless. Good luck!

That's pretty much all you can do. When you say you bought the morning after pill, I assume you mean you took it? Sometimes it can make you sick, so be aware of that.

As another poster pointed out, you might want to consider an alternate form of birth control - there's a lot of options out there right now.

Yeah. Drinking the morning after pill is basically all you can do. If you drank it in the morning you should be okay and hopefully will be okay. Other people might say use one of those douches but it's all old wives tale and douches are bad for you. So just wait.

I have been in your situation i have been pregnant though i miscarried

the only thing you can do is take the morning after pill and if it happens again i know this sounds weird but 2 of my gynecologists told me to do this douche with peroxide right after then douche with water. it has worked for me the only time i didn't use this method i got pregnant it really works.

If you want anymore details and or information contact me at robotemo_93@yhoo.com

my ex used morning after pills all the time although she hated getting them. i cant use condoms so i have to pull out or just do it inside her. she never got pregnant to i think they work well. best of luck with that.

Don't take the morning after pill. Did you know that the baby is actually one month old before the chemical abortion kills it? that's a living breathing child.