income you need to appy for food stamps.?

how low do your income have to be to get food stamps.

i really dont need it but when i move out and start paying for my books and apartment with bills.

i MAY need to apply. and do they give you garbage food.i really dont know how this works.

is it a bad thing to be on foodstamps?im kind of shamed.but my mom was never on food stamps because she REFUSED.I respect that because she had 3 kids with low income and we still were happy.

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer


    A person must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen to qualify for food stamps

    U.S. citizens and certain legal immigrants who have little or no income and very few assets are likely to be eligible for food stamps. This includes, but is not limited to, people who are:

    * Unemployed

    * Retired with no or low pension or Social Security income

    * Working, but earning low wages

    * On state cash assistance (TFA, SAGA, or State Supplement)

    * Homeless

    * Legal immigrants who are disabled and receiving disability benefits (SSI, or disability-related Medicaid) are eligible for federal food stamps without a waiting period. Sponsor deeming and sponsor liability apply to disabled immigrants who entered the U.S. after December 19, 1997 and have enforceable affidavits of support.

    * Students in post-secondary schools (college) can receive food stamps if:

    o Age under 18 or 60+

    o Physically or mentally disabled

    o Receiving TFA

    o Responsible for more that 50% of the care of a dependent family member if under age 6 or age 6-12 if adequate care is not available

    o Enrolled less than half time

    o Enrolled half time or more and employed a minimum of 20 hrs/wk

    o Placed in higher education by the Workforce Investment Act (former JTPA) program.

    WORK REQUIREMENTS FOR FOOD STAMPS (Effective July 1, 2006)

    Federal law limits Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWDs) to 3 months of Food Stamps in 3 years, unless they are working, doing community service, or in an approved employment/training program for at least 80 hours a month.

    Able-bodied adults who live in towns with high unemployment rates are exempt from the work requirement and the time limit. These towns are: Beacon Falls, Bridgeport, Brooklyn, Chaplin, Eastford, East Hartford, Hampton, Hartford, Killingly, Middlebury, Naugatuck, New Britain, New Haven, Plainfield, Prospect, Putnam, Scotland, Sterling, Thompson, Waterbury, Watertown, Windham, Wolcott and Woodstock.


    The following CANNOT get food stamps, regardless of how low their income is:

    * Most strikers.

    * Most college and university students between the ages of 18-59, unless they meet one of the exceptions listed above

    * Illegal immigrants



    * GROSS income limit for most households is 130% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). When calculating income, use the FPL chart for the previous year until October 1. (i.e. the chart that is effective April 1 for most programs is not effective for food stamps until October 1.)

    * Households with an elderly (ages 60+) or disabled member do not have to meet a gross income limit. Instead, shelter, medical, and other qualifying expenses are deducted from gross income. After deductions, the net income cannot be more than 100% of the FPL.


    * ASSET limit is $2,000. (Exception: if there is at least one person in the household who is disabled or age 60+, then the asset limit is $3,000.)

    * Not all assets count toward the asset limit.

    * The value of a house a person owns and lives in is not counted and a lien is not placed on a home.

    * The "fair market value" of the family's first car that is over $9500 is counted towards the asset limit. For second car, the value over $4650 is counted. (A library or auto dealer will have books that show value.)

    * Effective 7/1/07 no amount of the value of a car is counted as an asset.


    * Apply for Food Stamps at the DSS office that serves your town.

    * If disabled and unable to go to a DSS office, you can request that an authorized representative apply for you.

    * People who apply for or receive SSI can apply for Food Stamps at the Social Security office located nearest their home.



    * Identification

    * Proof of citizenship or refugee status.

    * Legal immigrants with permanent residence status ("green card") should call to ask what documentation is required.

    * Proof of earned and unearned income

    * Documentation of countable assets (bank account statements, stocks, bonds, CDs, etc.

    * Social Security numbers for everyone in the household.

    * Verification of your shelter expenses, such as rent receipt or lease and utility bills.


    The DSS office must act on applications within 30 days of the date a person signs an application. Eligible households will have benefits in their EBT account within four days of the date that DSS grants their application.

    In emergency situations, person may be eligible for Expedited Food Stamps, which can be obtained within 7 days instead of 30 days. (See EXPEDITED FOOD STAMPS, below.)

    The 30 day period begins the day that the applicant SIGNS the application. Also, the first month of food stamps are prorated from the day that the application is signed, so it is very important to at least put name and address on the application and SIGN it, even if the applicant needs to provide more information and/or documentation to support the application.


    Some people can get Food Stamps within seven days of the date they apply. To qualify for Expedited Food Stamps person must:

    * Have income less than $150 per month and assets of $100 or less.

    * OR have monthly rent/mortgage and utility expenses that are more than total monthly income plus liquid assets.

    * OR be a destitute migrant or seasonal farm worker

    * ID is the only documentation required for the first month of expedited food stamps


    All Food Stamp benefits are issued into the recipient's EBT account. If your last name starts with A-F, you will receive benefits on that 1st of the month; G-N on the 2nd, and O-Z on the 3rd. Benefits are issued on these dates even if it's a holiday or weekend.

    When granted Food Stamps, an EBT card is mailed to you, along with instructions on how to set up your PIN (Personal Identification Number).This number is your secret code that allows only you to access your benefits. If you give this number to someone else, they can access your benefits if they have your card. Keep your PIN number safe and do not keep it with your card. Benefits removed from your EBT account will not be replaced.

    The household can request that the EBT card and PIN be mailed. The client should request this at the time the case is granted or a replacement card is requested. If you lose your EBT card, you must contact your worker to get a new card.


    Request for appeal of a denial must be made within 90 days of the date of the decision notice. Request a hearing by contacting the local DSS office or write to: Fair Hearing Unit, Department of Social Services, 25 Sigourney St., Hartford, CT 06106.

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago


    Source(s): Best Type of Survival Food
  • 1 decade ago

    It depends on what state you live in, really.

    But you have to be REALLY poor.

    I was just denied food stamps because of too many assets. There are two of us, living off $10,000 a year income, and one of us has a few thousand dollars in a Roth IRA and were declined. Had we not had the IRA, we would have been eligible. But we JUST MADE the cut off for income. (That is TWO OF US MAKING 10,000 A YEAR COMBINED)

    And you would most likely have to do some required hours community service monthly or attend a welfare to work program, depending on the state you live in. The way my state works is you didn't have to attend the program or do community service if you worked an average of 32 hours a week.

    And no, you don't get garbage food. They'll give you something that looks like an ATM card and you can use it in the store just like a debit card to pay for your groceries. (Only food purchases are covered, things like toilet paper and shampoo are not)

  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

    With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

    According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago


    Source(s): Potty Training Tips
  • 4 years ago


    Source(s): Self Defence Training
  • 4 years ago

    This is arguable and there are in fact more than one answers to the question...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.