What to do with hideous, multicolored, acrylic yarn?

My grandmother gave me a bunch of yarn (awesome, right?).

The problem is, there are several skeins of hideous, multicolored, acrylic yarn, sort of like this:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat28...

(the colors are a little bit more obnoxious than those)

Since it's 100% acrylic, I don't really want to make clothing or anything like that.

I'm a very versatile knitter, and I know there must be something cool I can make with this yarn. Does anyone have any ideas?

Knitting skill level: Intermediate (but ambitious!)

And I don't really know how to crochet.

Favorite Answer

You could seriously consider giving it to your local elementary school for craft projects. Most teachers would welcome it.

You could make mittens for the children at the local school who may not be fortunate enough to have them, and hats as well. Many schools have a *mitten tree* for such children. Mix it with a coordinating solid color yarn to make it a bit more palatable.

Make baby balls, little ones love bright colors.

Knit tomato tie ups if you garden. These things don't rot in the garden and can be used year after year.

Teach a few Girl Scouts the basics of knitting. If you hate this yarn it won't hurt you to let them have it.

Source(s): I have been knitting for 53 years.
  • Lola

Knit a swatch and see what happens to the colors. Try knitting it with a solid color to mute the effect.

Afghans, would be good, like a log cabin - where you could perhaps mute the colors with scrap yarn - or go retro and hype the colors in blocks.

Otherwise, especially if the feel of the yarn is too rough, I'd contact an elementary school or girl scout troop leader. But I'd first make a throw for grandma or to hide in your closet until she visits next.

Knit a hideous multicolored acrylic afghan and give it to gramdma for christmas. You could make it in squares, some purled, some knitted, and make it like a checkerboard. Grandmas love that kind of stuff, and since it came from you with yarn she purchased, it's a guarantee she will be thrilled.

• Deb W

Maybe you could combine it with another nicer yarn, maybe even an eyelash yarn and make scarves or hats with it. Knitting with two different strands of yarns can give you some interesting results.

Try this web site for lots of free patterns:

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/index.php

Look threw the Yahoo charity groups. Many charities would welcome this unique yarn with open arms. Or the Lion Brand website http://lionbrand.com/ has many charities listed, perhaps close to where you live. I crochet. I would make granny squares using this yarn at the beginning and have a solid color for the outer rows.

You could knit a sweater for your grandmother with the *wonderful* colors of yarn -evil grin-

Or you could use it to practice a really hard pattern..that's usually what I do with any ugly colors of yarn that I have.

why not try and make a afghan or something like it, weaving the color in through the blanket without actually making it a block--give it to a relative, donate to a nursing home (you can attach backing to it) for they always need small blankets for residents to cover legs, maybe making one that is about 16x20 with slim, lightweight card board attached that you can paste a blown up picture from a magazine or old photo with protective film over it, good luck

Contact your local battered women's shelter. See if you can make afgans for their beds. I love the homeless shelter idea previously. I think michaels is doing some sort of knit a block for charity thing. You make 12 x 12 blocks and they sew them together for homeless and third world countries.

I have a pattern I can give you for slippers that are thick and you can use the yarn to make the slippers as Christmas gifts for your family. Or you can make a nice shawl for your Grandmom to keep her warm. If you want the patten for the slippers let me know e-mail me.

• I think mittens look really cool with that type of yarn.