Brasky
Brasky asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

How do I make my house smell good?

I have a puppy who often smells of wet dog (and has the occasional accident) I use Nature's Miracle on the accidents AND other stains that end up on the floor and furniture (it works on everything)

BUT I want the place to SMELL GOOD!! It doesn't smell...like ANYTHING really and that bothers me. I've sprayed febreze on furniture and the dog bed, and i have a febreze noticable plugged in and it doesn't smell at all! It did in my other place and i loved it but i'm using a different fragrance now and it's not as strong.

Any other good ideas to make my place smell GOOD??

I'm not worried about pee or poop smells from the dog...the Nature's Miracle TOTALLY gets rid of those scents...the reed diffuser sounds like a pretty good idea though...i'll have to try it too..i was just getting SO annoyed with candles!

Favorite Answer

Cleaning with baking soda and vinegar helps de-odorize a lot of places in your house.

Simmer cinnamon or other yummy spices with fruit peels on the stove.

OPEN windows and doors a little bit to get fresh air in the house

Clean linens and upholstery--get rid of piles of clothes.

Just a few suggestions! :)

• Gary S

We have reed diffusers in each room and have a house with one bird, 2 dogs and 4 cats and people comment on how good our house smells. Reed diffusers come in many scents and can be found at places like Linens n Things. If you arent sure what they are, bottle of liquid fragrance that numerous reeds sit in and out the opening and wick the fragrance into the room. For a quick boost of fragrance, flip the reeds around, the part in the liquid is now in the air. These work great in a bathroom, I stopped purchasing spray air fresheners

• ktrb

Keep your house as clean as possible, and get some fresh air circulating every day (even if you can only open a window for five or ten minutes). Get your carpets deep cleaned at least once a year. If you put a few shallow bowls of white vinegar throughout the house, they'll absorb odor and the vinegar smell fades after a few minutes.

In general, a clean house smells better than one with a lot of air fresheners, so don't rely on Febreze too much.

• Zeltar

There is little you can do to cover up the dog urination smell; just like there is little you can do to cover up cigar smoke; or a room that has previously caught fire. The smell is absorbed by the materials, like carpet fibers, paint, curtains, and cloth to cover the furniture.

You can do temporary things to cover it up.... but it'll always come back.

The sure way to get rid of the smells is to rip up the carpets and pads; replacing ALL flooring that the urniation occured on. If from smoke, you need to repaint all the rooms, replacing the flooring, AND replace the absorbant type furniture (e.g. cloth).

I know that it's expensive. That's why some people make hard and fast rules about having pets, or smoking while in their homes.

I put to simmer on the stove a small pot with water, orange peel and cinnamon sticks. It makes it smell wonderful. You can use othe items as well, but these work the best and are fairly cheap. Just don't forget the pot and leave your house. After you let it simmer for a half hour or hour you can turn it off. It will last most of the day. You can also use an electric simmer pot.

Or check out Scentsy. They smell great and last a long time. The new ALTERNATIVE to candles.

**You beat me to it Ramona!!! Must be an old wives trick, not just my "Martha Stewart-ish" mother.

Source(s): My mom's trick. www.scentsy.com

This is going to sound like a ridiculously Martha-y thing to do, but if you simmer a pot of water with some cinnamon tossed in it, and maybe a few cloves, your house will smell really, really good. However, you should avoid putting the pot on high heat then forgetting all about it while the water boils away and cinnamon burns to the non-stick surface, creating a toxic odor that permeates not only your kitchen, but also, somehow, your shower curtain.

You have had several good suggestions so far. I use the Glade plug in fragrances, the ones with the night light, in areas where I want to be aware of the fragrance. I find they work very well.

Home depot carried scented furnace filters which will make your whole house smell good (for a while). There are a few different scents.

• ruthie

Good fresh air. Even in the winter time I will crack a couple of windows in my house to let in fresh air. It does help.

• Growl

Bake a pumpkin pie.