To be a solitary or in a coven, it's one of the biggest questions a Wiccan must ask him/herself. Do I seek out a coven for guidance, friendship, community, education and more? Or do I go it alone forging my own path without religious or cultural restrictions?
Here's the facts:
1) MOST Wiccans are in fact solitary practitioners either by choice or by lack of covens. There are many covens that just don't last because of politicking and power plays among other reasons.
2) You can perform perfectly safe, if not safer rituals by yourself than with a coven. When you are working with others, you must implicitly trust those people for they might have other motives, fears, doubts or other energy issues that could come back on you. The first spell that ever went awry with me did so because I practiced with people who were careless.
3) A Coven, Circle or grove can be a great place to learn, but if you are interested in joining one, get to know the practicioners first. Find out their background, their length of time in the craft, their knowledge base, etc. Also, use your witchy intuition to guide you. If if feels wrong, don't go there.
4) There are also groups that are not strict covens, but social and educational groups that can guide you along the way.
In chicago, we have the Earth Spiritualists of Chicago which helps fund charities, holds Sabbats and several other social and educational events. You might, start off with a group like that first if it's available for you.
5) THE KEY TO PRACTICING GOOD MAGICK lies in the Witch's Pyramid.
a) To Know
1) Know your craft
2) Know who you are practicing with
3) Know why you are doing the spell/ritual
4) Know yourself
b) To WIll
1) Have confidence you can reach your goals
2) Use your will wisely and with ethics
3) Have the wisdom to know what you can change and what you cannot.
4) Use your will often. If you don't use it, you lose it.
c) To Dare
1) Don't be afraid to try something new
2) Be proud and never shameful of the Craft
3) Dare to change your life and the lives of those you love
4) Dare to defend your beliefs
d) To Keep Silent
1) Know when to speak and when not
2) Know when to act and when not
3) Know when to be in the broom closet and when not to
4) To know when to be solitary and when to be social
· 1 decade ago