What has this R&S section done for your tolerance towards other belief groups?

In my personal environment religion was never a subject. Teachers, friends, parents: they were probably all atheists. From most I hardly even know, it just never was a topic. I met the occasional Muslim, who were always very tolerant and open-minded.

My vision was, of course, very blurred by the news. Seeing the "God hates fags" people, seeing the Rushdie fatwa, etc, etc, had made me somewhat intolerant of religious ideas.

When I first came to this section, it got worse. I saw many, many intolerant religious posts. It was, of course, also my yearning for sensation and the urge to prove my own prejudice to myself, to click mostly on such questions.

There was this Christian, Contemplative_Chanteuse, who kept answering all my weird questions with an overdose of Christian empathy. And from there on I found many more religious posts from loving people. Hence, I grew tolerance and respect.

How about you?

• katiya
    Favorite Answer

before coming on here, i knew little of intolerance. now i see why the world is in the state it is from how uneducated and hypocritical some people are. there are wonderful people in every belief system, but i can't believe religious fanatics are adults! do christian fundamentalists not see how they are just like muslim fundamentalists?

it's important that a dialog continues here so people can question their beliefs. i think extremism is caused by isolation and ignorance.

to answer your question, i think i am equally tolerant, but wiser in the ways of the world.

great question markyyy!

I never thought so many people were crazy until I came here. Religion was basically a non-issue. I came here and saw the agendas and got a lot less tolerant of religion.

But really I'm just intolerant of those parts of religion that we SHOULD be intolerant of (such as abridging the freedom of religion of others). I'm not actually as militant against religion in general in real life as I am on here.

So to answer your question, I don't know that I got less tolerant, but perhaps more aware of that which I would have already been intolerant.

Markyyy, you are definitely on to something...open hearts seem to be increasing on R&S. i, personally, don't think in terms of tolerance or intolerance, rather of acceptance or non-acceptance. The words "tolerate" or "tolerance" seem to imply a stance of superiority, of "holier-than-thou-ness," which lacks compassion or empathy, whereas "acceptance" places no value judgment on another. R&S offers a fundamental venue for meeting those of other faiths and beliefs, of other cultures. For some, the initial meeting may be shocking or even traumatic...seeing tor the first time that there exist radically different viewpoints. But as we come into dialogue with one another and sense the beings behind the words and how we are more alike than different, we come to a better understanding of the plenitude and variety that this world holds. It is also interesting to note that when we resist that which we think we are in opposition to, somehow it resists right back, perhaps even more strongly, thus creating a meaningless escalation that mirrors, in a smaller, but significant way, the external wars of the world. What is the cost for resistance, finger pointing, and making another "wrong?" The cost is great...to all...for all are affected, knowingly or not. When we open our minds and our hearts to the world, we find our enlarged hearts can hold an infinite amount of acceptance, empathy, compassion, and love. In this case, an "enlarged heart" is desirable, for it virtually heals/wholes the world into oneness, placing the salve of acceptance/forgiveness/love on the wounds of separation.

i am Sirius

Actually, I think I was a much more tolerant person when I first walked in here. Oddly enough though, I've developed a new respect for Pagans by coming here. They seem the least high strung and judgmental of all the groups. I'm an agnostic, and while I sit in the atheist camp (not the fence of it), I am shocked at the vehemence they display at times. I mean I expected the Bible thumping, but not the Bible burning (so to speak).

I'm mellowing out again now, but for a little while I felt almost desperate to explain my viewpoint clearly. Now, I just offer it and try not to be (too) offensive.

Good question.

I was amazed by the Christian hatred I first found here. It boggled my mind because the Christians I know in real life never uttered such intolerant things.

Most Christians who post here really don't do much to sell me on the love or peacefulness of their faith

Still, a few Catholics (Debra M and others) make me hold on to some faith in what Christianity could be.

• Ronyea

Tolerance of someone else's beliefs (or disbeliefs) has nothing to do with faith. Tolerance is a character trait that we would all do well to cultivate.....it should be one of our "strong beliefs". Everyone has a right to believe as they wish, and that means there will be "differing creeds and practices". And just because we have "strong beliefs" doesn't mean we are necessarily right, so "dialogue" is one way of "testing the waters" to see if there may be something we've overlooked or misinterpreted. It's a helpful tool to learning.....and we can all learn something from each other.

• Jeff D

I already had a well-developed tolerance for people with all sorts of religious beliefs and bizarro New Age / paranormal beliefs.

The R&S section gives me one more setting in which to practice tolerance and respect.

I believe that there is, and I act on the basis of, a real distinction between (a) practicing respect for other people and (b) actually respecting the content of other people's beliefs, especially in matters of religion.

The former -- practicing respect -- is simply good manners and good citizenship, and it builds character in the person who is practicing respect for others. The latter is optional and involves a different mindset. I don't respect religious beliefs that are irrational, rooted in ignorance or tribalism, contrary to the evidence, life-hating, mind-hating, or woman-hating.

I'm finding myself with less tolerance towards Christians and Muslims as time goes on. Though I've grown greater tolerance, and respect, for the other religions in the world that have posted on here.

The behavior of the members speaks volumes.

Actually, it hasn't affected it at all. I have always been fairly tolerant of varying beliefs--probably at least as much as anyone else I know.

I am not tolerant of religious intolerance though, if you understand that. Believe whatever you want, that's fine, but don't try to insult and degrade someone else's beliefs.

One thing it has taught me is that fools can say they are a part of any religion. :)

Doesn't mean it's true, of course.

Source(s): Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows the fool?

I've met really cool Christians. I have to admit that I don't know that many cool Christians.

Of course, I've also met the Christians that made me turn away from Christianity to begin with, so it's all a wash.

I will say, however, that I knew nothing about Pagans before, and now, at least I know some! And they rock!