Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 1 decade ago

Why do so many people from Europe smell like underarms?

Don't they have deodorant over there? not talking about British they don't stink. but from the Continent

Try going to Eastern Europe

Favorite Answer

You see how Europeans still treat you nicely and actually take the time to answer your question? Maybe you'll learn a thing or two on good manners.

I haven't noticed that people smell as a rule anywhere. It's never a good idea to generalize. And anyway deodorants are shamefully cheap anywhere in Europe, so it's not an issue. It's just that we don't buy the cancer-related aluminum containing ones as someone already said. I wonder if you even know what that is...and if you've ever been in Europe at all...

• robert4 years agoReport

To the European that got offended by the question,
      let me say that the person who posted the question has a very valid point to do so, many many people say the same when returning from Europe, Spain, Italy etc.. p.s like the person stated, you probably don't know you smell but foreigners do...

This is an old thread but it so full of crap that I had to write a comment.

I live in Europe and visited most european countries many timmes over....Women and men stink to kingdom come!!! Obviously all of you are european and surely don't realize others stink because you ALSO stink to armpit and sundry body odors!

I don't think there is any need to say more.

Get hold of some deodorant you all in europe...and stop offending your fellow men (and woman) from other countries with your horrible body odors!!

• Pedro2 years agoReport

I've got to say that is true in special in France. But I now the problem they don't wash their clothes every day or every week hahahha. My friend from Belgium he has never washed his jeans trousers. They smelling bad but I love them

Well, I live in Eastern Europe, and I am an American, so I think I can try to give a go at this question.

First of all, there is a different scent here in Europe, but it's not disgusting, just different. We eat different foods here, have different "standards" of cleanliness ( the US being on the far side of what is neccesary!) and in Europe, the people generally are hard workers, more natural, not wasteful and less lazy.

All these things can contribute to a scent that YOU are not accoustumed to, that's all. I noticed it much more when I moved here almost 7 years ago, now it is a non-issue.

Americans use too much synthetic "junk" to mask natural, normal things. Not just on our bodies, but in our homes, cars, etc.

Americans shower WAY more than is really necessary ( and is a waste of water, time, products etc) and over wash just about everything.

Americans drive everywhere and don't walk or take public trans. You might be a little sweaty at the end of a long walk, bike ride or jog too!

Yes, I will occassionaly meet someone here that has an unpleasant odor, but I meet them in the States too. I have learned that there is SO SO SO much more to people than their homeland, language, job, race and even smell :-).

Now, I don't want you to think that I am not a Patriot or have now gone Anti-American - NOT AT ALL. But I have found a better balance in viewing all people for the strengths and appreciating or ignoring differences, not dwelling on them or mocking them. I have learned SO MUCH from the amazing Czech people!

Look beyond....

Mom of 6

American in the Czech Republic

• utkarsh4 years agoReport

Ya ! Asians , Africans and southees should change their nose which can recognize this sweet skunky smell.

Are you sure it´s not you yourself who stinks like underarms, as you say, or maybe you have to get your nose checked. Have you ever been to Europe or just met European people in your own country?

I just wonder, I´m European and have almost visited every country in Europe and never met stinking Europeans.(If you meet a person, wherever that person lives in this wide world of ours, it´s of course possible a person smells after 10-12 hours of work).

Sorry, but this world has a great deal of problems, and stinking people is not one of those problems. Next time you meet a stinking person, go far away from that person and your day will be saved! Voilá, your problem is solved.

Have a nice day.

The air is different on Continental Europe. The underarms aren't more pungent, but the air is softer and more permeable. So you're more likely to smell a strong fragrance. Especially after you've been accustomed to somewhere with "hard air" -- like the islands, or the Americas.

This is why Americans give gigantic bouquets of fragrant flowers, while Europeans usually give smaller, more compact, modest, little bouquets. A little scent goes a long way on the Continent!

• topink

I would rather smell a good looking person's armpits than heavy perfume, deodorant, cologne, hairspray, and makeup that some people think they have to coat themselves with to cover up their natural smell. As for the ugly bugs, no matter where they are from i exhale when i walk by them.

most of deodorants being made under US licence, with nextly prohibited salts of aluminium, many people here chose to skip breast cancer - that's why -

So many obese people in the USA..... - how can you produce so many of them - tell me if their armpitts smell jasmin at the end of the day - huuuuu ??? ( is that how you write it "huuuuuu" ? ) - and swear that you never had to sit down beside one of them durig an airflight .

Of course I'll not ask you how many times and where you've been to Europe - I guess you were a cheap tourist and met cheap europeans - sorry for you

You're entitled to your choices and entitled to OBEY your big industry - People are free in their choices - Beware breast cancers also concern males - But next time you come to Europe rent a limousine ( without stinking chauffeur !!! -)

• Orla C

I've been to mainland Europe many times, and honestly, I never noticed.

ask someone from europe. its should go something like this...'hi im an inconsiderate A hole. with just a TAD of prejudice and biggotry...why do you stink?'

• European learn how to take bath from East Asian.