Rosalee asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Where should I buy pet fancy rats?

i'm looking for a female fancy rat as a pet. Would someone please tel me where I can find one to adopt or buy???

Favorite Answer

This is how i found my pet rat! :

I went onto google maps, and searched for pet stores in my area. With the results, i searched the name of the stores on the internet, and saw which ones had rats.

Then i made a list of all the possible stores, and me and my mom reserved one day for just going around in the car and looking at them.

We eventually got her at, i think Petco? It was a small one though.

Anyway, it worked! She was one of some new babies born the month before, which is probably the best age to buy a rat at.

Tip: Don't get a rat from Petsmart or any other large industry store. They most likely won't have a good selection, and the rats would be too old and unsocialized, or not as healthy as they should be.

• wigley

Buy Fancy Rat

• Pamela

Pet stores are generally not a good idea. They often sell ill pets, and only offer a small 2-week return period. The rats are often skittish and mishandled. Pet Smart is quite good at making sure you don't get a pregnant rat. They only sell females, or at least the ones in my area do. I was in the same situation (had no breeders anywhere close to me) so I bought my 3 girls from Pet Smart. They are friendly, sweet, and happy, healthy girls. IF you can find any young rats at shelters in your area, or local ad sites, I'd go with that. If not, Pet Smart has a better reputation than most pet stores, so I'd go ahead and get them :D Good luck with your ratties!

I just got my rat "touii"at petsmart.Hes not full grown,a couple months old,..I just love him so much.Took a week to bond,but hes so friendly and loves my 5 yr old and me to hold and love him.I had no trouble potty training enough so he wont go when hes out of his cage.He is my first one,but I havent had any problems with my store bought rat.Ive read its best to find a breeder.They are more tame and healthier,but for me i dont have the time and petsmart is convienent.I love my petsmart rat,they need homes too.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Where should I buy pet fancy rats?

Source(s): buy pet fancy rats: https://tr.im/lHEC5

You can get rats from a pet store, but I think it's better to get them from a breeder because then they're more used to humans and more tame. When I bought three from Petsmart one was very nervous around people, and the guy who worked there had me take them out of their cage so he wouldn't have to touch them :P

My sister always had pet rats. Infact, one time one of them was pregnant and we raised a bunch of rats! So I do know a thing two.

Common places to find rats as pets are Petco and PetsSmart. They do have relaible rats. That are well groomed and pleasant.

The rule of thumb with rats is: the younger and small you get them the friendlier and social they will be when they grow up. So make sure you get one that is "medium". It will grow bigger. Also pick one with a generally nice attitude. Rats show characteristsics at a young age.

good luck

You CAN get them from petco or petsmart, but you really sholdn't. Check petfinder under small&furry wih your zip code as there are sometimes rattys who need aome. Alsotry craiglist in your area because sometmes there are people who have litters or homeless rats there too. Hoped this helped!

you could try a local animal shelter, they often have rats there i need of a good home just ask the workers how old it is and make sure it is not too old

Petsmart has started to sell fancy rats and snakes now. I got bit by a grown fancy rat and had to go to the clinic, good times..