What are my chances of being a cop?

Hi, I have no criminal history and my driving record is clean aswell. I plan on getting my ged by or at the end of march don't know if this will DQ me or not. But if I applied for the pensacola police dept, when I have attained my ged, would I even get accepted? I wanted to become a cop because thats one thing I admire and thats something I know I would like if given the chance, So what are my chances?

Btw I am 20 will turn 21 in may, and physically fit.

Favorite Answer

sounds to me like you should try, if they say no then at least you gave it a try. if you start helping out in your community you may be able to put that on your resume it can only help. good luck.

If you cannot get on with a large department try a smaller one. You will not make as much money but often the smaller department standards may be a little easier. Work hard and apply with a larger department in a few years. They should be more interested as your time as an officer and it should be easier to get into the department that you want. Good luck

.I say if you really want it claim it .Do what ever is needed to get you a job in this field. I know that here in Ga I have a friend named Ernie that dropped out of school for family reasons anyway he went got his GED and is now an active member of the police force in the city where he lives .

In my department, we usually go through 1600 applicants to be able to fill an academy of 45-50.

I hope you have a heart of gold there. They pay you more if you have a college degree. Why do you only have a GED? You might be flunking the polygraph if you did a lot stupid things.

Source(s): Police want the best, not the minimum requirements. But if your heart is in the right place go for it.

Both high school and GED equivalency are equally accepted, minimums

8 of 10%

My opinion

• JR

Go for it! Focus on how you are working hard towards that goal and speak up for yourself during the oral board. No one else will, you have to be proud of your accomplishments and what you are working towards . Good luck!

Source(s): self

Slim to none.