192.168.0.1 not working?

My Linksys router is hooked up to a Ambit Modem by Time Warner Cable. They set the modem to DHCP, but I just want it to be static. I types in the modem's default IP (192.168.0.1), and nothing pops up in hte browser. Yes, the PC is hooked up to the modem right now, not the router. So is TWC blocking this web access or am I doin something wrong. Please Help Me.

we have static ip, we have TWC biz class. (Which gives you a static ip) I could access it before, but then TWC came in and fixed a problem with our router, then I couldn't get it again.

Yeah, before they came in the static IP on the Modem was 24... something. If I go to an IP checker online it says its 24... But, I don't want the DHCP on hte modem. Thats what they added when they came in. And because of this, I can't access my router from any other place in the world because it goes through another DHCP. So I am sure that our IP is static, but they made the modem go DHCP too.

GATEWAY RUNING Xp

Favorite Answer

go to run...type in CMD and then type Ipconfig....the default gateway is the address that your want to get into.... see if it actually is 192.168.0.1

Start there.... look at your ip configuration. Always start there.

You are not going to be able to set that modem static. Your ISP determines whether your IP address is dynamic or static...

If you want to be able to get into your computer using remote desktop...or run a web server or something....couple of the reasons for wanting a static IP...then go to www.dyndns.org

Use dynamic dns....they will keep track of when your ip changes and update it with the DNS servers...check it out...its cool.

Source(s): Net+
  • Andy T

Cable without DHCP long ended; if you do want no DHCP for a corporate networking you have to pay for it. Their form of DHCP is really internally static but no one would know anyway. So there is no setup at all, only a normal Internet access on a Time Warner network line without 192.168.0.1 but given it is Business Class the IP should go to is the 24... one IPCONFIG to figure that out, of course throw in a router (NAT) and the situation is different but Business Class merely meant you are being sold one entire subnet instead of an individual IP to go online.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

192.168.0.1 not working?

My Linksys router is hooked up to a Ambit Modem by Time Warner Cable. They set the modem to DHCP, but I just want it to be static. I types in the modem's default IP (192.168.0.1), and nothing pops up in hte browser. Yes, the PC is hooked up to the modem right now, not the router. So is TWC...

Source(s): 192 168 0 1 working: https://tr.im/bXYdm

In order to get a static IP add you need to pay for that. Otherwise you get the DHCP add and you have no access to changing it.

edit: It sounds like you are trying to access a router via the browser, which you can do , but it will be 192.168.1.0 anyhow, the modem will have no default IP add just that set to it by the ISP.

Oh you can mask it etc etc with a bunch of script-kiddy tools but you can not change it unless you contact them and pay for an IP add block.

Any answers for the layperson? TWC sent out an "easy connect" guide to swap an old modem out for the new. When you type the 192.168.0.1 into the browser s address bar as instructed, you get "Safari can t open the page." The process of swapping modems is daunting enough and will take me a long time, not being tech savvy enough. The last thing I need is for the first step of the instructions to lead me to a dead end :( Any simple fixes for the non tech savvy? Thanks kindly! Amy

If what you have is really a cable modem, you don't have an IP address other than what the cable company is assigning it to you. They are usually in 24.x.x.x range.

192.168.0.1 is one of the commonly used address for the router/firewall.

Unless you paid for it, you won't get a static address for your cable modem. By default, they'll give you a DHCP assigned address.

192.168.0.1 is a private ip address, you cant get to it through the internet.

plug your router into the modem and then access it via 192.168.0.1. and then if you want configure your computer w\ a static ip address.

*this question seems to be tricking people like a cert exam question would try to.... if you actually read his entire question you will see that he says that he's currently directly connected to the modem.... and the router isn't plugged into anything so therefore there is no possible way to connect to the router until it is plugged into the modem.*

If this is the actual address of the modem there should be no problem. If you are trying to make your public IP static you can't. And most ISPs will cut you of if you try to. If you are trying to set your internal private addresses to static, contact the ISP to trouble-shoot.

Why dont u try this one, click on start then go to run and on run type in cmd.. on the command prompt type in ipconfig and hit enter. Look for the default gateway and that is what u type in on the adress bar... It usually starts with 192... if it starts with 169 then there is no communication drom ur modem to ur pc.. ^_^

• Sharon

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axB30

Working hard huh? better tuck that up before the boss man sees it