Any hope for infantile spasms? Helpful information?

I'm a first time mom, and my 7 month old son has been diagnosed with infantile spasms. Everything I've read on the internet has done nothing but scare the hell out of me. It says there is an 80% chance that he will have mental retardation. This is so heart breaking for me as I'm sure it is for any parent. I cry and cry and cry despite all the support from my family. My son will probably be starting a treatment called ATCS. I was just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar. Did this treatment help? I've already looked up all of the side effects and everything but I'm just curious about whether or not it has actually helped. My sons spasms have NO cause. No head trauma, meningitis, trauma at birth, etc. I'm so afraid for him. He already seems to be alot less happy then he used to be and it's breaking my heart. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• SoBox
    Favorite Answer

There's an 80% chance of retardation? I think you had better speak to his doctor to get better information. I know several children who have had the ATCS injections for infantile spasms, and they are perfectly fine today. Maybe it's children who have infantile spasms that go untreated who have an 80% chance of having cognitive delays. Also, remember that developmental delays are NOT synonymous with retardation. Try to relax, Mom - I know that's easier said than done!

My heart just broke when I read your question, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Don't think the worst, always believe in the best. Be strong and rely on the people that love you to help you through!

• JUICY

Retardation....Are you sure? Please visit website, never give up hope.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/infantilespasms...