Anonymous

Why are we called black also why is Africa portrayed as one country of one people?

Firstly black means nothing no one on this Earth is the colour black or no one in this race is even the same colour we are the most diverse so called 'race' in the world so we cant be called one colour.

Mainly the word African yes we are but Africa is a continent which holds 53 countries also why do people think we all look the same or they can tell how an African looks like yet again the most divesrse continent in the world yet they still act as if Africa is one country.

Common conception Africans are black and dark

Look at the diversity this is only 50%:

Madagascar

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/36383000/jpg/_3...

Bushmen

http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/Gallery/Bongani/Kgalaga...

Igbo

http://www.ibidoun.de/icons/igbo_nigeria.jpg

Pygmy

http://www.american.edu/ted/ice/images4/pygmy.jpg

Niger

http://www.enkidumagazine.com/images/E_024_7.gif

Xhosa

http://www2.ru.ac.za/gallery/albums/album73/Anthro...

sorry i didnt make it that long it doubled somehow

im African not African American its because when I go on holiday I here all this ignorance that im not African because I dont look African ??? How do Africans look then

Best Answer

Yes i checked out your pictures and the cultures are very diverse. And because Africa when we see it on a map is surrounded by water we think of it as one country and until you go to the different countries and get to know the people one way or another you will naturally think of them as black because that is the dark color like most of them are born with.

Actually, stereotyping is a convenient function to avoid deeper thought about a subject.

For example, to Americans, Europeans are usually pictured as being white. Nobody really tries to distinguish between most of the countries there. You just say somebody is "European," although the Europeans would strongly and vehemently disagree and point out the stark differences between countries like Spain and Portugal and Norway and Finland.

The same goes for Africa. All of the nations tend to get lumped together (Sub-Saharan Africa, because for some reason, Northern Africa is considered more Mediterranean or Middle Eastern). The people there all become "black" and "African," irrespective of cultural and linguistic differences. Most people in the US don't even know that in Mozambique and Angola, people speak Portuguese as well as their native languages, or that in Senegal people speak French.

And then you have Asia. Though Japan, Thailand, China, Nepal, India, and Mongolia have completely different cultures, we tend to think of them all as Asians, and we tend to think that they are a homogenous group. For example, when people see an "Asian" walking down the street. They stop there. If they go any further, they might say, "Oh that guy is Chinese."

Food for thought. It's a dense book -"Before the Mayflower" by Lerone Bennett Jr. The author makes a reference that in ancient times white was the color that was actually associated with all things bad. For example white was the color of death. Also when you burn things or destroy things all that is left are usually white ashes. This all changed with the "intrusion of the Europeans" onto the "Dark Continent". I speculate also that we came to be called black as a race because of the various peoples that were enslaved and survived the middle passage to America. Remember that slave traders looked for slaves that were healthy, able bodied and the easiest to spot in the event they tried to escape-thereby the darkest ones. Oddly enough the idea of blackness originated with African slave traders and was perpetuated in America. This also relates to how the N* word came about. Slaves taken from the Niger. I believe the word is synonymous with the area and the complexion of the people as well.

Because when the Europeans came up with the English name they only had contact with a relatively small area of sub-sahara Africa. It is not like today when you can fly across the continent and meet many different people in a day. Also there were a lot less people so it was difficult to meet many people without travel. And if you are giving a "fact" Joey B, it is nice if you could provide some sort of source instead of expecting us to assume you are some kind of expert.

I didn't look at all your references, it's not necessary. Black and white are conveniences. While no one is 'black' no one is 'white' either. We describe people as 'tall' and 'short', how tall is tall or how short is short? it is all just relative.

I grew up and watched people go from being *****, to colored, to black to African-American (which doesn't cover folks living in Canada or China, but that's another discussion.

I would just as soon call you by your name, but I don't know it.

So, how would I describe you. Let's see, tall, not real black but kinda dark umbre with a hint of paleness around the....anyway, get my point? It's just a convenient way to describe someone. No offense meant, at least not by the people I hang with.

<<Edit>>

I'm sorry, I just notice a word was starred out. It is not a bad one, the filter thinks it is.

Damn that was a lot of links. All I can say is that for non-black, African, whatever term you may want to use, it is probably just easier to use those terms...they may not see it as racist or hurtful, but rather just a form of classification. The same way people negligently use "Spanish" for many people from many different countries who are united by the fact that they speak the same language. It's not rocket science, it's just easier, especially when people don't want to take the time to get to know others on a more personal level.

• Dusk

Wow, those are VERY nice pictures!!! I'm not black/African but yes it is true a lot of people don't realize there are so many ethnicities and tribes within Africa. I especially think the Igbo women were so beautiful in that picture. :-)

I definitely agree. I was in South Africa recently and I did note the differences between the Xhosa, Zulu, Nigerians, Zimbabweans, Angolans, Mozambicans, and of course, Coloureds. There are different nationalities in Africa, people.

Well, people in America say 'Europe', and 'Asia' and 'Australia' too, not just Africa. And people are called white, yellow, red and many other colours too. We all fit into one steretype or another.

It's just a standard term.