Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

What do you have to do to immigrate to the United States?

I'm going to be debating on the immigration policy and I was wanting to know about the U.S. immigration process. What do you have to do to get a visa? Do you have to go to an embassy?

Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• CPG
    Favorite Answer

It depends on what kind of visa (non-immigrant or immigrant) and from which country you are a citizen of.

To start with the basics. Citizens of 27 countries (see first link) may travel to the United States without a visa for a maximum period of 90 days - no Embassy visit is required for this, they just fill out what is known as an I-94 of their flight.

People who are not citizens of the 27 countries who wish to come for a visit must apply at the U.S. Embassy in their country of residence for a non-immigrant B1/B2 (visitors) visa.

For all other non-immigrant visas (F1, J1 etc), must apply in person at the U.S. Embassy, regardless of their country of citizenship. Each non-immigrant visa will require different additional supporting documention in order to make their case, you should research this yourself.

For a non-immigrant, temporary work visa (H1, H2 and H3) an employer must sponsor the person and file the inital paperwork before the applcant can schedule an interview at the U.S. Embassy. The inital paperwork consists of the Form I-129F, Petition for non-immigrant worker and a LCA (Labor Condition Application).

For immigrant visas, there are three main types. Marriage to a U.S, Immiediate relative (family based) and employment based.

In each case the petitioner (spouse, relative or employer) must sponsor the applicant by filing quite a number of forms the main form being the I-130 and in the case of the employer form I-140. Once all of the paperwork has been filed and approved, the applicant must then attend an interview at the U.S. Embassy.

A further note, there is never any gaurentee that an applicant will be granted a visa at the interview even if all of the paperwork is in order.

This is just a general overview for you but more research will need to be done for the finer details.

Below are some references for you:

Just jump the border like every one else does.

• Well hey why not come to england?! You'll get here without a vista, stupid government are so crap!