Question 4 Jehovah's Witnesses (& ex-Jw's): Would you let a "born-again" Christian talk to you for 3 minutes ?

I have a co-worker that I get along great with - I have know many Jehovah's Witnesses, and she is the coolest I've known.

I want to propose a "deal" with her where we can sit down in the lunch room, and she can prosteletyze for 30 minutes to me if I can talk to her about the Bible (Not the NWT) for 3 minutes ?

I'm thinking it's a good deal - she could write it down on her 'card' where they keep track of their evangelistic opportunities and she would get to talk to me for TEN TIMES what I got to talk with her.

I'm hesitant because I notice they are real quick to give non JW's materials to read, but they are told not to read anything, go on the internet (although many obviously do), or listen to anyone that might shake their belief system.

Does anyone think there's a change she would bite ?

Oops - typo that should be "chance" - do you think there's a CHANCE she would take the bait ?

Hannah:

Internet - I meant in the context of looking at opposing views, like you are doing here - nothing wrong with it from MY standpoint, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Bait - Just a term for putting an offer out there, and the one on the other end taking it. Not talking about deceit, trickery, coercion, entrapment, none of that - you seem a bit sensitive....

Blessed - I work for a cable company, and would love to get the PPV rights on a debate between you and Debbie <g>

Seriously, please let everyone know if you exchange e-mails.

____________________________

Debbie:

Don't know if you wanted to exchange e-mails with "Blessed" or not. My biggest concern with JW's besides Jesus being "A" god, and Michael the archangel is the belief that "Hell" is just death, if I've got my facts straight.

Eternity is too long to be wrong on this.

__________________________

Ishvarla..

You quoted me: "I know they are told not to read anything that might shake their beliefs".

And you said: "How preytell do you know this?? Did she tell you this??"

This was just a broad-brush statement, based on 50 years of relationships, knowing ex-JW's, ex-Mormon's, ex-Christians, ex-Born Again christians, etc.

I have tried to give them materials and they refuse - this is a fact based on first hand experience - try it yourself - find a group of JW's on a saturday afternoon, and say "May I give YOU something to read" and hand them some materials . .

Best Answer

She would bite, only to convince you of her side. If you've done extensive research and you know the ins-and-outs of her beliefs and their culture, then I'd say go for it.

The chances that she'd hear you out are slim-to-none. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't take the opportunity.

Before you do anything, you should speak with Christians with a JW background, since only they can tell you where the holes are in the teachings and what attacks they will make to side-step the real issues. They are well-trained, but predictable, and there is very tolerance for opposing views.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, pray about it long and hard. If the individual is ready, GOD will reveal Himself. It is only your job to plant seeds. And you can only plant as many seeds as the individual is ready for. If you only make one point before she's "heard enough," then that is ONE point that she can chew on, and that God can use to lead her out at a later time.

Take any opportunity that you are given, and leave the rest up to God! :o)

_________________________

Does anyone else find Luke's word choice to be bordering on offensive? Maybe it's just me.

Luke: I'm the opposite of you. I was raised JW and I'm now a Christian. I'll take you up on your offer to debate the trinity via email, if you're still open to it?

Debbie: How can you be so sure that people who leave are just "looking for an excuse to get out?" Contrary to your belief, you are a rare find in the Kingdom Halls. Or, at least I can say, of the 120+ JWs I knew, none of they were willing to stray from the WTS publications or hear opposing views. That is how I define weak in their faith. So if that is what you meant by weak, I would agree.

• Leah

Papa Bear says an organization they fear is telling the truth. Jesus is truth period. Jesus is the way the TRUTH and the life, not a organization that has no credibility what so ever. Have they gotten just ONE DATE RIGHT? We all know the honest answer to that. If I told you hey Papa Bear I'm going to take you out for a nice dinner on Sat. night and that it's a really nice place so be ready, and then when the time rolls around I'm a no call no show. How would that make you feel? Sure I suppose I could call a day or two later and say I'm sorry something came up and let me make it up to you. Then I do the same thing like 8 or 10 more times no call no show I bet you would lose trust in me real fast right? I would not be dependable. Same thing with all the wrong dates and then they turn around and say no we are not false prophets we made changes. THEY HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO SAY THAT BECAUSE THAT DAY PASSED WITH NOTHING HAPPENING. Then there is the New World Translation translated by who ??? None other than Jehovah's Witnesses themselves. Do you have the Kingdom Interlinear Translation also by Jehovah's Witnesses? Compare the two side by side and then you tell me in all honesty in the presence of Jehovah God that it's a reliable translation. All the proof is found in all your own publications. But see the problem is that Witnesses do not dig deep in their personal study and compare and see if what is being said here is truth. Remember Jesus said his sheep would hear his voice, listen only to his voice. Not the Watchtower Organization. Jesus is the only way, he is the door. We love you Papa Bear, we will pray for you.

Dear Ironwood,

That is a very generous proposition on your part! I'll pray that she will be willing to listen and that she will say "Don't stop!" when you get to the end of 3 minutes.

About a month ago a Christian asked a related question about going to a Kingdom Hall if the jw would be willing to go to his church. I'll see if I can find the link.

In December 2006 I had a lovely jw couple come to my door and I told them right up front that the jw teachings that Jesus Christ is not God and was the arch angel Michael are not in agreement with what the Bible says.

They wanted to give me the book What Does the Bible REALLY (actual word is in italics) Teach and I told them I've read other Watchtower material and am not interested in reading any more. The couple kept insisting. I believe the Holy Spirit at that point inspired me to agree to read the book IF they would read 2 pages for me. They agreed so I gave them the following:

An Open Letter to Jehovah's Wittnesses by Roy Zuck

One Truth Exposes a Thousand Lies - Traits Shared Between Jehovah and Jesus which I had printed out from http://www.soulright.com

For 3 years I made offers to my mom. At the end of 2004 I told her that if she would read The Daily Walk Bible with me throughout 2005 then I would read the NWT with her throughout 2006. She said she didn't need to do that because she reads it every 3 years at the KH. I made the same offer at the end of 2005 and she refused again. So I switched course at the end of 2006 and asked her to read the NWT with me throughout 2007 but she still refused.

I hope and pray that your co-worker will take you up on your offer!

For His glory,

JOYfilled

Former JW, no I wouldn't. When I left the Witnesses, I left Christianity also. My problems were less with the Witnesses as a group than with Christianity at a very basic level. Nothing left to discuss, really.

I doubt she'll go for it, but you're free to ask of course.

You should be forewarned that an intelligent JW, well versed in her faith, is trained for exactly this sort of thing. Someone tried this with me once and I made mincemeat of their arguments within minutes. So proceed with caution.

Hello. I am a Christian, one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Your suggestion, in and of itself, sounds fine, and is how quite a few became Witnesses.

However if you really truly want to do things right, you need to be willing to leave the snarky comments and thoughts at the door.

Example, "I know they are told not to read anything that might shake their beliefs". How preytell do you know this?? Did she tell you this??

If you are truly interested in a discussion, and are polite I think things can work well.

• Diane

I have spoken to many born agains on the doors. They tend not to listen anyway - you can use their Bible, you can show them the scriptures yet they will still insist man was not made to live on earth. Jehovah created the earth for mankind to fill and nurture. Had Adam and Eve not rebelled they would still be alive on earth today. PLEASE read Genesis to see that this is true and that death is not a natural event and one that was planned so that earth became just a training ground for angels. God has enough angels to minister to him, his purpose was for mankind to live forever on earth.

Born agains cannot accept that. They will deny it over and over and then insult God by saying he will burn his children in a fire eternally. How can they believe that of a God who is Love?

So, yes talk to her if you want, but listen, dont just repeat what you have been indoctrinated with - actually check the scriptures with her in your own Bible and then cross reference them. If she is a genuine JW she will not be moved one iota but pagan cult doctrines of three gods in one, the celebration of satans festivals and a hell of eternal torment.

Hello. I took Bible studies before but didn't commit myself. You can sit and talk with your co-worker and if you choose to do it more often than once, then be prepared to be in *deep* studies. It will fill your living soul and it will be embedded in your mind at all times. I have stopped studying for some years now, but what I learned is still there in my mind. I have yet to find another religion or Pastor that can convince me of knowing the Bible in a different way. If getting in deep is what you want, then go ahead and study with her.

• NMB

Talk for 3 minutes, or 10 minutes, we do so all the time.

There is no requirement to use the New World Translation. Many Witnesses I know have more than one translation. I have, in print, a King James Version and an American Standard Version as well as several more on E-Sword.

When you are giving her the 30 minutes.. is that pure listening time? Not debating everything she says? If she feels you will actually listen to her, she might. One key thing to think about is what are your goals? To show her why you feel she is wrong in her belief system? Or to share with her why you love your religion so much? If it's about making her wrong for you to feel right.. skip the whole thing, no one goes away feeling good from those types of meetings. And remember, you probably won't be swayed to think and believe her way nor will she be swayed to your way of thinking and believing.

LOVE IS ALL THERE IS, no matter what religion. And there probably is only one god, the god of all religions, teacher of peace and love.

• TeeM

When I first started studying the bible with Jehovah's Witnesses, in the town I lived in was a Pentecostal College.

We would spend an hour at the door of the students that attended.

Finally one admitted that their instructors had told them not to talk to us. (sounds familiar?)

Many people in my current town have admitted that their ministers have told them "Not to talk to Witnesses" and yet we are famous for going door to door to talk to anyone about the bible. And we are accused of being 'blinded' and have 'mind control'.

I got very good at showing why John1:1 & John 10:30 from the context of these verses don't teach the trinity.

Several born again Christians I've talked to even admit that Jn 1:1c is a quality and not an identification (NAB foot note)

That The Father and the Son are one in that they are united.

Yet united does not mean equal.

I just love how Biblegateway.com comments that to understand Col 1:15 you have to use Greek philosophy, something Paul said not to do at Col 2:8.

I remember one minister's wife who invited me in to 'prove' the trinity.

When we discussed all her scriptures, and context didn't agree with her understanding, she finally said "God does not have to be reasonable and asked me to leave.

Understand most of us have left false doctrines behind, why would we want to go back and read about them?

.

I don't know if she would "bite" as you put it. I don't think our opinions matter anyway.

In answer to your other question, yes I would talk for three minutes, five minutes or thirty minutes and discuss the Bible. Using any Bible you like.

Um, we are NOT told to refrain from going on the Internet. We are not told to refrain from listening to anyone who would shake our belief. I mean, think about it: we have an official website. Why would we be encouraged to visit the official website if we had been told to stay off the Internet? We are encouraged to keep up with current events – this would include reading the news (such as CNN, NBC) which we often do on the Net. Why would we be told to stay off the Internet? I mean, logically? Please, please, where do people get this stuff?

Take the bait? Is that what you are trying to do? Bait her?

Hannah J Paul