Why is the steam engine so important?

Favorite Answer

Well my Grandpa owns one of the few steam engines left in Western united states and he always tells me that they are important because they were the precursor to Gas driven vehicles and without the steam engine the gas car wouldn't exist today because they both work off the same principle of being driven by expanding gases....I love my gramps so i always just go with it....Steam engines were the first cars, trains, tractors, and pretty much everything that is now driven by electricity or gas was done with steam first....But they take forever to get warmed up and ready to go...

Source(s): Family

The steam engine, which uses water, is way cheaper than wood or coal and it was used in trains and steamboats.

its a part of history that should be preserved, like the steam trains its good memories for people to

Its important because it runs from burning coal and not on electric and is part of our history.