Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

After just watching GMTV the doctor was not very optimistic regarding the survival rate of this disease?

About 5% survive and those not so fortunate are normaly dead within a year, do you think this will encourage more men to check themselves on a regular basis? I know when Kylie was diagnosed it gave me a reality check

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13081...

moring Bunches, I am sorry to hear that

Heather, please don't be rude to me, you have just virtually implied that I am dumb, because that channel was on, so was the news and the doctor who was discussing it, I was interested in what he had to say, so If I am Dumb, so be it!, at least I feel a little better informed having listened to what the the doctor had to say.

Favorite Answer

Hopefully they have caught it in time

• Judy

Maybe, but it is indeed often too late,unless you fall into a high risk category there are no routine checks for cancer, I'm not sure what you mean by regularly checking themselves, I fear that quite often by the time there are indications of cancer and depending on where the cancer is the disease is already virtually unstoppable .The answer which states there are two types of cancer, thereby implying that it can be got rid of by mind power, troubles me greatly, I can assure you that this is very often far from true, I suspect the survival rate very much depends on where the cancer is, as some cancers have a much higher survival rate than others .

Whilst this is a terrible cancer, as are all the other types, he has pancreatic cancer not the prostate cancer which only effects men because women don't have a prostate...this cancer killed my father.

My niece's step mum lost her fight against pancreatic cancer last year, but there are cases of people surviving it...the Australian actor Colin Freils for one...

"In late 1997, Friels was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and almost died. However, his treatment was successful and he is one of the very, very few victims of this disease to go into long-term remission.[4] During his treatment he even continued to work on the set of Water Rats, until eventually the impact of the chemotherapy stopped him from working, and he chose to have his character written out of the series by sending him on a sailing journey around the world."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Rats_(TV_series...

(Water Rats is showing on FX at 6pm weekdays and through the day over the weekend)

I wish Patrick and his family well....hopefully he can find the reserves of strength that he will need to be able to beat this dreadful disease.

Morning Krissy,

Yes I hope so, I think men aren't as quick to see their doctors as often as women, they definetly should.

Some local communities would have different health checks for men & women and they are always out there trying to encourage more men to come in.

I saw that myself, I agree it's not until someone in the public eye has been diagnosed that we then start to think so yes it is a reality check for all of us and those we love. It is sad.

I know how you feel Bunches I lost my Father to it as well.

• bec

Unfortunately the NHS doesn't routinely screen people for cancer (unless over a certain age and then for only certain types of cancer) and if you ask to be screened and you're out of their high risk categories (age, relatives with hereditary type cancers) you get treated as if you're a hypochondriac nuisance - unless you want to pay privately for it.

So we often don't know we have it until it's too late.

My mother died of cancer at 49, and she hadn't realised until it was too late, but keep checking every week in the shower for us ladies.

Hes got pancreatic cancer. Its virtually undetectable until it spreads to other organs which by that time its often too late to treat.

• Brian

Morning Krissy

Lost both my parents to cancer - terrible disease

Yes, I think a check up is well overdue

Incurable means curable from within

There are only two types of cancer:

CANsurrender, or

CAN SURVIVE

It's all down to the mind.