Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

OUTRAGEOUS..have any of you ever heard of such a ''ridiculous LAW''??

my blood is boiling at the idea of this..

i was told that in the state of massachusetts it is ILLEGAL for a single mother to live in a studio apt with her baby..

they said its a law,theres not enough square footage

i have seen families crammed into apartments,houses,etc

what about after the hurricanes in new orleans..there are so many examples of ''emergencies'' and not everyone can afford the outrageous fees they charge for apts these days

what is wrong with this government..if they want to make it illegal for me to rent a place i can afford,then maybe they should pay the differnce..

this is just sick on sooooo many levels

have any of you ever heard of this?


PLEASE EXPLAIN=protect the children from what???

Update 2:

glinda=happily i will tell you

and thanks for asking

it was the ''carlyle house'' apts in revere massachusetts,

the leasing woman who is very nasty

i then spoke with her supervisor who confirmed that it IS (he said) a ma law?

the irony of this,is that later i found out that those apts are infested with mice,roaches,and high criminal activity in the community

im happy they didnt ant me,

a mom and baby is illegal according to the ''health dept'' according to them,but mice and crazy criminals are fine??

what a world

but also,just so you know,after this,i decided to look in maine for an apt

and a woman named kay at the trelawny bldg also told me it would be illegal for her to rent me a studio with my 1 yr old

it's all i can afford

Update 3:

glinda=if you are genuinly interested

i would be more than happy to provide you with their contact info..let me know


Update 4:

GLINDA=also,the apt in maine was a 1 bdrm not even a studio

and kay said it's illegal,

if the baby needs her OWN room

i'll sleep in the living room..(not good enough)..this is really barbaric

usa may just be the sickest country yet!!

7 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I imagine that those laws are in place for health and safety reasons. As for these apartments being infested with mice that is a helath issue that you may want to contact the health department about.

    As for high criminal activity then you should call the police when you see illegal acts occuring and you can always remain anynomous.

    If you can't afford the high rents, then perhaps you should go to the Human Services Department and find out what type of assistance if any you qualify for, or if there are programs for you. Another alternative may be to live in city housing. It's not the greatest, but it is probably affordable. Best of luck.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    You could seek out help from HUD or some government help of some sort. Does it surprise me there is a law like this in our country? not in the least Is it sickening? absolutely 100%. Im sorry you are having to deal with something like this. Wish you the best of luck.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    So.... its legal for a non-single mother to live in a stuido apt with a baby? So there's not enough square footage for 2 people but there is for 3 or more?

    pffft get a girlfriend or a boyfriend and tell em to get lost LOL

    protect the children from not enough square footage? LMAO.... hilarious...

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Who told you this was against the law? think they are pulling your leg. looked into this and it is NOT against the law. If you have 3 or 4 children of different sexes they prefer you have separate bedrooms for the different sexes, but one mother and a child it is NOT against the law. Who told you this? I would really like to know.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Makes perfect sense to me...they are trying to protect the children. If you look into it, you probably can find some sort of aid to help you move into a larger place!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yup that's nuts. When you vote, vote for less government involvement in our lives.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yep, it's the way it is.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.