Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsOther - Science · 1 decade ago

If you participate in a science fair like Seimens or ISEF, do they own all rights to your research?

Best Answer

Intellectual property is always tricky, and I don't know how a science fair would work.

In general, you own your intellectual property unless someone else has a right to it. So, unless you sign a paper that specifically says that the sponsors of the science fair have ownership of the ideas presented there as a condition of your participation, then I think you would still own the rights.

However, if you publicly present your ideas (like at a science fair), and they are not yet patented/copyrighted, then the ideas are not protected, and you could lose ownership if someone else patents them - maybe even if they got the idea directly from you. I am not entirely sure, but if you present your ideas publicly without a patent on them, then you might also lose the ability to patent them in the future.

Somehow, it seems unlikely that a kid at a science fair will singlehandedly come up with a patentable and valuable idea, but if you think you have one, perhaps you should seek out and talk to a patent attorney.

Good luck!

• Debra

I believe in God, but I'm also a fan of science and evolution. From what I can tell, there's a lot of evidence to support the work of Darwin and others, but there are also some holes in the theory. By me, God could have created the Big Bang, the evolutionary process, life on other planets, the physical laws of the universe, other dimensions and everything else in creation. There does not have to be any inherent conflict between believing in God and accepting all of these other things. Best wishes!