Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 decade ago

My heart beats really fast from time to time, then slows down..could it be....?

arrythmia? I read about it,and now I'm scared and paranoid. I do drink caffeine, about 1 cup of coffee a day, and 2 cups of black tea. I don't drink it 4 horus before bed though, but my heart often beats really fast at night. I'm 19 years old, and in decent shape. I have a semi hectic schedule, and I guess I would call myself a perfectionist...my mom says taht's why my heart beats so fast sometimes, and that I need to SLOW DOWN.

I used to pass out from time to time..so i went to the doctors last summer, and got a WHOLE BUNCH of tests done on my heart. They even did an ultrasound on my heart to check in my heartrate was irregular ( that's what they do to check if you have arrythmia) Anyways, the results were good, so I'm not sure if I should go again? If I had it, it would have shown up right? Maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac? BUT, I only noticed the heart racing since the school year started ..please let me know what you think.

Favorite Answer

You might be having panic/anxiety attacks. I used to get them. Had heart monitors etc to see if it was my heart, and nope, was anxiety (self diagnosed, doctors never even mentioned the possibility... sigh). They just started during my second year of university out of the blue. I didn't even feel particularly anxious about anything specific either. But under the surface here must have been some anxiety I wasn't recognizing/dealing with. Then I started having them more and more because I was anxious about what was wrong with me and scared I would have another one. I would also notice them the most at night as well, hardly ever during the day and never when exercising, etc. Mainly when I was laying down trying to sleep, or when watching TV, or at the movie theatre too come to think of it, once I even woke up having one. Always during "down" time though.

After I realized I was having anxiety attacks I was able to calm myself down during them (took some time though, and a patient BF who was usually around to witness them), but now I don't have them at all. I hope this helps!

its common in younger women to get heart fluctations, my friend had the same thing, its what the doctor said to her. but also ive heard of heart murmers.. i dont know if its what you have, but im pretty sure its when you have an irregular heart beat..

but seriously it could be nothing bad, i mean, lay off the coffee, and relax a bit. it might help

well it wont hurt to check but i doubt that you have an arrythmia, your heart may just be speeding up because you are nervious or scared and arn't really concious of being scared or nervious. i would just watch how you are fealing but if you dont have any other symptoms i wouldnt worry about.

Gfjhgfkghfgh

Go back to your docs and tell him you are still really concerned with this - did he tell you why this might be happening?? Demand ANSWERS from the professionals! You might need to go see a specialist and get a second opinion this doesn't sound good at all!!

stop drinking caffeine and see if that helps sometimes cold medicine can also cause your heart to beat faster.

could be tons of stress....or like you said arrhythmia. idk my bro had similar and the problem was cuz he had a valvue in his heart that dident work properly. just an educated guess tho.

and remember....CALM DOWN!!!! lol good luck, hope you find out what it is.

no