Building a cyclocross rig: Any suggestions?

This will be my first cyclocross bike, and as I live in an area without any 'cross community to speak of, I'm scrounging for info. So, imagine, if you will: Just got a great deal on a used Gunnar Crosshairs frame in fine condition. What wheelset, forks, deraileurs, and handset would you put on there for... show more This will be my first cyclocross bike, and as I live in an area without any 'cross community to speak of, I'm scrounging for info. So, imagine, if you will: Just got a great deal on a used Gunnar Crosshairs frame in fine condition. What wheelset, forks, deraileurs, and handset would you put on there for $1500 or less? I'm hoping to keep things simple as possible, while getting a bit more performance than just 'entry level', as I've been road biking, commuting, and mtb-ing for six or seven years now... I'm really after the cyclocross feel, with eyes on actual training somewhere down the line.
So please, for anyone with similar experience building, or riding a patchwork 'cross rig, I sure would appreciate the insight that only wisdom can offer!
Cheers.