what is the state of iowa like?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends where you are in Iowa.

If you go to Des Moines (which is where I'm from), there's a lot to do. We have a comedy club, many many bars, many wonderful restaurants, a minor league baseball team, arena football, a hockey team, a minor league basketball team (just starting up), lots of soccer to watch, many parks and fishing areas, a small but busy downtown . . . . I could go on and on.

Iowa itself is quite varied. If all you've ever done is drive through Iowa and you don't see the beauty in a wide open field, then it's boring.

Having been raise in Iowa, I've grown an appreciation for the beauty of a bright green and yellow cornfield. It's quite a sight. Of course, again, if all you are doing is driving through, it's a sight you get a lot of . . . . so yeah, it can get boring.

Iowa has a lot of small towns that are fantastic! Pella is my personal favorite. But each small town has its own personality and unique shops.

The college towns--Ames and Iowa City--are fun, but it's better if you are a drinker and don't mind the college age crowds.

Iowa, contrary to what many think, is not flat. It's actually full of hills. A friend of mine from graduate school (in Kansas) called Iowa's hills "bosomy." Take that how you will. :)

As for being compared to Minnesota or Nebraska, Iowans don't take kindly to either. Minnesota is full of not so bring folks who don't know how to drive and cheer on football teams that think purple is a manly color (Go Bears!), and Nebraska has even less than Iowa does. They even called their college team the "Cornhuskers." I mean seriously. (I kid! I kid! Because I can!)

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most people will formulate their opinions about Iowa based on just driving through it on I-80 or I-35 or by what they hear on the media. These people are for the most part clueless. Granted there are a lot of Corn fields, then again we are an agricultural state. The truth is that Iowa may not be as flashy or interesting as some other states but it is far from boring. Des Moines in particular has grown by leaps and bounds. Over the past 15 years it has undergone a major face lift. The New York Times writer (can't remember his name) who covered the Iowa Caucus wrote a story about how he thought he would dread spending new years in Des Moines Iowa, but after he had stayed here he had a lot of fun. He compared the atmosphere to downtown San Francisco and some parts of New York.

Some people think that we are just a bunch of hicks. I think this comes from the fact that we are filled with people who pride themselves in strong moral values which revolve around their country, their family, and their faith and this is sometimes seen as "hickish". However, most people in Iowa are fairly intelligent and are able to wield rational thought better than some "cosmopolitan" areas of the country.

Overall, if you want to know what it's like your not going to find out by driving through it on one of two major interstates or from some jerk who has done the same. You'll have to get off the beaten path, go visit the small towns, talk to the people, and then you'll see what Iowa has to offer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The state of Iowa has many attractions. The Herbert Hoover National Historic Site and Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum are located in West Branch. They contain the birthplace and grave of former president Herbert Hoover along with his Presidential museum. The Iowa State Fair located in Des Moines. Adventureland is an amusement park located in Altoona just northeast of Des Moines. Arnolds Park is in the center of the Iowa Great Lakes resort region, and is home to a historic amusement park, also called Arnolds Park. The Effigy Mounds National Monument is located in Allamakee County and Clayton Counties. The Amana Colonies are a group of settlements of German Pietists comprising of seven villages. Much of the movie Field of Dreams was shot in Dyersville. Terrace Hill is located in Des Moines and is the official residence of the governor. RAGBRAI - the Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa - attracts thousands of bicyclists and support personnel. It has crossed the state on various routes each year since 1973. Also, the nation's longest running soda jerk, the Wilton Candy Kitchen is located in Wilton, Iowa. The Wilton Candy Kitchen was established in 1867. It is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The John Wayne Birthplace and museum is in Winterset. The Clint Eastwood movie "The Bridges of Madison County" took place and was recorded in Madison County Iowa, which is where Winterset is located.

• 1 decade ago

To borrow a quote from Jeff Foxworthy:

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from September through

May, you live in Iowa.

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and

they don't work there, you live in Iowa.

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still

winter and road construction, you live in Iowa.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Oh, there's nothing halfway

About the Iowa way to treat you,

When we treat you

Which we may not do at all.

There's an Iowa kind of special

Chip-on-the-shoulder attitude.

We've never been without.

That we recall.

We can be cold

As our falling thermometers in December

If you ask about our weather in July.

And we're so by God stubborn

We could stand touchin' noses

For a week at a time

And never see eye-to-eye.

But what the heck, you're welcome,

Join us at the picnic.

You can eat your fill

Of all the food you bring yourself.

You really ought to give Iowa a try.

Provided you are contrary,

We can be cold

As our falling thermometer in December

If you ask about our weather in July.

And we're so by God stubborn

We can stand touchin' noses

For a week at a time

And never see eye-to-eye.

But we'll give you our shirt

And a back to go with it

If your crops should happen to die.

You really ought to give Iowa

Hawkeye Iowa

Dubuque, Des

Moines, Davenport, Marshalltown,

Mason City, Keokuk, Ames,

Clear Lake

Ought to give Iowa a try!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Iowa is like a boot for Minnesota.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is lots of corn. Everywhere you look, there is corn. When you drive a few miles, you see more corn. Once you drive past the corn, there is more corn, and some corn beyond that, and then some more corn. You can climb the occasional tree to see past the corn, where you will see more corn.

Oh...and its pretty boring, too.

Source(s): I'm flying the next time I have to cross Iowa.
  • 1 decade ago

BOOORING. My ex lives there.Nothing but corn and wheat fields. The only think iowa has is the field of dreams!!

"Is this heaven....No it's Iowa"

• jacob5 years agoReport

no iowa has mainly corn and soy beans,

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Indiana

• 1 decade ago

One Word- Cornfields....lots of them

not the most exciting state to drive through...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.