Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Have your political views been changed at all by participating in this forum?

Favorite Answer

I would say all dialog helps to broaden and sharpen my perspective. Some of my opinions have been proven wrong and some have been unfortunately dead on.

If I never changed my mind, I would still think like a child...that is foolishness.

A little, but slowly. I've found that it's sharpened my rhetoric and allowed me to cut a lot of the dead wood away from my arguments. I've also had a lot of people share some fascinating essays with me regarding a host of topics. While not necessarily changing my viewpoint it has allowed me to flesh out some of the weaker points in my own personal philosophy. This forum, while often ridiculous, does have a lot of informed posters willing to share with you. Some are conservative, some liberal, some Libertarian, and some are socialists, and they're all useful to talk to. I happen to be a Libertarian, so I can find flaw and agreement with just about anybody. But the constant exchange of ideas has, in my opinion, allowed me to grow and evolve as a politically active individual. I'm definitely better informed, even if I don't always use the facts as other people think they should be. There's never been a lighting flash, "Eureka!"-style change, but this forum is one of the tools I've used to mature my thought processes.

Great question. No they haven't changed. I have learned a few good things that I didn't know. I have researched things that I might not have researched before. These are good things. On the other side of the glass, I have become very pessimistic about the ability of people to stay focused on the issues w/out making their opinions "personal". I have learned that the media has a frightening amount of influence on all of us. I have read some of the most disrespectful, insulting and manipulative responses - that reminds me of the fact that character is definitely what you do when "no one" is "looking".

You guys are kidding, right?

Who even has political views that are not derived from hate?

Every question I have ever asked about a REAL issue (not dirt digging on a candidate, or ARE YOU BETTER OFF, etc) I get less than 10 answers...

But ask if you hate something, the freakin' board lights up!

Political views are not being shaped here, because the bulk of those participating don't have any views to begin with! All they have is their hate...

LET'S STOP THE HATE AND START FIXING OUR COUNTRY!

Yes, but only slightly. I've always been a liberal and proud of it. Most but not all Republicans on this forum spew vitriol and are afraid someone will take their money and help someone else who might need it, but I expected that. When I've asked questions to help me understand their position, they don't take me up on it, and that's sad because it's not impossible to change my mind.

The only thing I've changed my mind about is whether or not McCain is a "natural born" citizen. While I still find it questionable, they've given me pause to say, he most likely is "natural born".

No, but I do find the level of ignorance in this forum fascinating. There are a few good questions now and then but it's like picking through a garbage can to get the "good stuff".

I certainly think it helped my views evolve. It has made this independent more cynical about the Conservatives.

Most of my questions are followed by an insult accusing me of being a liberal. They seem to be blind to the problems faced by this country under Bush's leadership.

Where are the social conservatives? Most conservatives here seem to be anti-immigration (many times blatantly racist) and seem to focus on the poor reducing their take home paycheck.

I certainly hope that this is not the pillars of the Conservative movements that are posting on this site.

Not in the least. My views about scripture have been enhanced in knowing that those who critisize scripture really do not understand scripture. I happen to know the Bible fairly well, and viewing the words of a critict shows me how much they have to learn. And it has helped me to see the methods that the enemy attacks as well (i.e.-watch how many thums down this answer attracts-I happen to attract the criticts like a lightning rod!).

My views on politics in the same way- only streangthened! I am a proud Baptist and a proud Republican.

p.s.-the thums down 4 this answer will soar into the twenties....WATCH.

Source(s): ll Peter 3:3,5

YES

I am far more cynical than I was before YA Politics started.

Plus my bright outlook and good feelings for my fellow man has eroded to a far less cordial opinion

The conservatives are so irrational and use so many ad hominem arguments, they never really try to engage us at the level of ideas.

That just turns thinking people off of conservatism altogether.

So, no.