Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

I Just Saw an ad for Bayer Aspirin: "Bayer Aspirin Saved my Life", Simply Not True?

ASA does Nothing to a Clot Already Formed.

Thanks W W D, they Said BAYER Aspirin.

Thanks Dr. Jon. I've Heard of the Acronym MONA.

I Just Saw this Ad Again, it's One Thing for a Pharmaceutical Company to Engage In Deception, Quite Another for a Media Outlet to Be a Willing Participant.

Best Answer

Can very well be true. Immediately after a heart attack you are susceptible to major blood clotting which could lead to a follow on deadly stroke. Aspirin has a slight blood thinning effect which can help dissolve some clots or prevent them from forming.

Source(s): Heart attack survivor who had aspirin given to me by first response EMT's http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?ident... http://www.aspirin.org/cons01.html

Now. I could be wrong, I'm not a doctor, but from memory, the MoA of ASA is to block COX 1/2. In the platelets, inhibition of COX1 chokes off the production of a prostaglandin necessary for platelet aggregation into a clot. This really wouldn't do all that much for an existing clot, except, I suppose prevent enlargement. Again, could be wrong, and probably am, but isn't the contribution of a secondary clot a decently significant contributor to mortality in heart attacks? When you have one clot thrown free in the arterial system, you're more than likely to form another (I'm thinking ruptured plaque here). So. Been demonstrated if I recall to have some positive effect. But aren't the real benefits of aspirin found in daily administration and lowering the frequency/size of clots formed. Bha. It's been years since I've read up on this stuff. I can't even find my notes. Like all commercials it's dramatized, scary and loaded with impending doom and black and white statements. I hate them all. Granted, they're also trying to sell to the big chunk of the population that thinks lungs are like big hollow empty balloons, and that your colon builds up thick layers of 'toxins' that have to be purged. Edit: Thought so.

Whoever said that probably just happened to have Bayer on hand. You really don't expect Bayer to tout someone else's product do you? I think ASA is good, as to the other responders. ASA+interventional Cardiologist+stent saves more. Aspirin buys some time in the developing MI, I think. as well as being an effective prophylactic .

The efficacy of aspirin therapy begun during the first 24 hours after acute STEMI was initially demonstrated in the Second International Study of Infarct Survival (ISIS-2).

ISIS-2 randomly assigned 17,187 patients in a "2-by-2 factorial" design to oral aspirin (160 mg/day for 30 days), intravenous streptokinase, both agents, or neither drug. Aspirin therapy resulted in a highly-significant reduction in five-week vascular mortality (23 percent reduction), which was equivalent to that seen with streptokinase (25 percent reduction) and additive when streptokinase and aspirin were administered together (42 percent reduction). The absolute mortality reduction was 2.4 vascular deaths prevented per 100 patients treated.

Aspirin therapy in ISIS-2 was also associated with significant reductions in the incidence of nonfatal reinfarction (1.0 versus 2.0 percent) and stroke (0.3 versus 0.6 percent).

The 2004 ACC/AHA task force on STEMI and the 2004 Seventh American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP) Consensus Conference on Antithrombotic Therapy published recommendations regarding the use of aspirin and other antiplatelet agents following acute MI .

Consistent with these recommendations, they recommend that aspirin be given as soon as possible after the onset of symptoms in patients thought to have an acute MI. Therapy is begun with a loading dose of 162 to 325 mg of uncoated aspirin. Aspirin should be continued indefinitely at a dose of 75 to 162 mg/day, since efficacy is equivalent and the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding may be lower than with 162 to 325 mg/day.

The first tablet should be chewed to establish a high blood level quickly. More rapid absorption occurs with non-enteric coated formulations. Administration by emergency physicians is preferable to giving the drug in the coronary care unit, and was given a class I recommendation by the 2004 ACC/AHA task force.

But no, there is nothing unique about Bayer. :)

Source(s): ACC/AHA, ISIS-2 study.

One never knows, but overall, aspirin therapy decreases mortality by about a third, which is more than beta-blockers, ACE-inhibitors, thrombolytics, angioplasty, bypass surgery, and intensive care units, all combined. Pretty impressive. Going from the general to the specific is always fraught with logical tripwires, but it isn't an unreasonably huge overstatement compared to other ads. Of course, they didn't claim that a different brand wouldn't have worked!

• Troy

well, in all fairness, a scientist for bayer invented aspirin, so all other brands are a result of the bayer company, so really they can claim to have saved lives when other brands are used.

Aspirin has actually saved the lives of a lot of people when they have had a heart attack.