km43dragon asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Is it harder to train miniature horses?

I am interested in getting a miniature horse, but recently I heard that miniature horses are more difficult to train than normal sized horses. Has anyone trained a miniature that can give me advice? Is it better just to hire a trainer that specializes in miniatures? If so, how do I go about finding a trainer in my area (from KS)?

Best Answer

The thing with minis is that they are very very smart. When training them, you really need to lay down ground rules and abide by them. The second you let a mini get away with something, they learn that they can do that behaviour and they will do it bigger and faster the next time.

As others have said, training them to be ridden is quite a challenge because you do need a small rider. However, you can do a ton of ground driving work and also teach them how to drive. You can also teach them halter work, showmanship work, and even in-hand jumping.

However, putting good ground manners on a mini is the most essential thing you will find that you need to do. We bought an 11 year old mini just about 2 years ago, and I've spent the last 2 years trying to undo the damage that her previous home did - and I have failed miserably on every effort. The mini never had any discipline, nor any form of ground manners put on her. She is incredibly rude, she will drag you around, charge into you, rub her butt up onto you and push you donw, run in between your legs to get out of the gate, slam into you while you are trying to longe her, rear when you try to drive her, spin around in the cross ties, rear on the cross ties, she paws the ground non stop, she pulls and drags you around, she can't be coerced, bribed, or "natural horsemanshipped" into good behaviour, she flips over when the farrier tries to do her feet, she bites, and kicks, and is basically about as big of a monster as she can possibly be. Even at only 36" and 300#, you do not want to get kicked or bit by a mini - they can do serious damage, and are quite capable of dragging their own weight around.

Most minis are hard to train for the reasons that Amanda has stated - people spoil them because they are 'little and cute'. This is similar to the spoiled, untrained dogs you see running around.

The mini at my first farm was not hard to work with at all, but the kids started working with her when she was a yearling. She learned how to free lunge, rear on command, step onto the mounting block and other things. Since she had manners since she was a baby, she was great to lead, groom and everything.

People see these horses as little and nonthreatening and therefore do not train them properly. the problems Amanda is pointing out would be the same problems a horse at the same age would have if people let him run all over them, or a big pony.

Actually, they are not difficult to train at all, not like a Shetland, or for that matter, any pony. They are just what they are called, miniature horses, more of a mindset of a horse than of a pony. Treat them with the same discipline and respect that you would a full size horse. Of course, the things that you would teach a horse from his back, you would do it from the ground with a mini. Things like trail, jumping, etc...all from a lunge line and halter.

They have that pony mentality, but are the same as horses, just tiny, I have a pony (12.1hh) and I'm 5' 11" and I am always on my knees with him, I litterally kneel when I pick out his feet so i dont hurt my back, and i sit on the ground a lot, my mom says i will get injured, but Black Jack loves me so much, he is always so careful around me! I have a friend who has a mini, she has tought her all sorts of tricks, they are so smart. But you should give them a 'job' may it be tricks, such as bow, hug, smile, yes, no, etc or jumping but have fun, they arnt any harder to train other than size! Good Luck

I didn't have a hard time at all with my friends mini she was so good for a 3year old. it took about a year we took are time and didnt pust her she was trained to drive not ride and only for shows and she is doing great she took third place in her first show out of 11 miniature so not bad.they are so small you should try it your self it gives you a good feeling at the end.

the only problem i had in training my mini was i kept wearing out the knees on my pants..just kidding lol..they can be a little(how can i put this)bigger than they actually are.and can be a little headstrong so finding a good trainer could be beneficial.due to some of the physical and common breeding faults they need some special techniques in their training to keep them healthy and free from injury during training.i am not familliar with kansas for mini training but just ask around and check out more than one trainer..have fun with your mini

Source(s): 4th generation cowboy/rancher

No but a full grown person can't ride a minature so you need a really advanced little kid or a midget to break them. That's all. Why are you interested in getting a minature? As a pet or to ride?

shetlands can be a bit naughtier or more cheeky because most people can not ride them! however they are very strong for their size.

• The only thing that makes it harder is finding the midgets to ride them.

No, just sit down while doing it.