Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

I have a 3 year old that is struggling on potty traning.?

My 3 year old son is stuggling on potty traning. He wear huggies pull ups. And is doing good on the peeing on the potty. But always wants to hide and poop his pants. Most of the time you can't tell he is pooping his pants. We've been potty training for 6 mos. now. Any ideas to get him potty broke?

Favorite Answer

After potty training my son and daughter, I have come to understand how important being comfortable is to them. I researched and found a safe stool with sides that made all the difference. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

With this stool, they could climb right up on their own and feel completely relaxed. My kids wanted to use the adult toilet and with this stool they easily could. Well worth it.

Hope this helps.

This is all perfectly normal. Most boys are 3 1/2 years old (that is the average) when they finally get the pottytraining. The peeing is pretty easy but the pooping is a totally different story and it does take boys longer to get to pooping in the potty. If his poop is hard or to big he will have a harder time on the potty so he will poop his pants. Dr's won't worry though until they are 4 or 5 years old. Just a note though, i had no luck with pullups with my boys they just thought if they had a diaper on why not use it.

He will do it on his on time. My son turn 4 in Dec and we been pottying him since he was three. He got the peeing part but he did the same thing as ur son with the pooping. He started about 2 weeks ago pooping in the potty. Now he is wearing big boy underwear even at nite.

Assure him he can do it. Tell him it's the same as doing it in his pull-up or on the floor. Tell him that there is no clean-up if he just puts his pee in the potty instead. Tell him that Mommy doesn't wet underwear, Mommy is very glad to put pee in potty and say bye-bye to it. If he has just turned 3, I may wait a little, but I don't recommend it. I tried 3 times since my son was almost 2/12 and I regret not keeping with the plan. I backed off, gave a break of months, tried again, backed off , tried again and nothing worked. Eventually I had to resort to threatening, i.e, I need to call the doctor so the doctor will be able to help your sore pee-pee (sore because he was holding it in for so long and unable to j let go). I faked a phone call. Didn't work. Next time I faked a phone call and had someone call me back pretending they were the doctor and my son got afraid that time. I told my son that the doctor wanted to see him if he didn't pee in the next 2 hours. He didn't pee, I called the doctor back but he was gone for the day, lol. The next day, after almost 18 months of trying , my son peed for the first time in the toilet, and is peeing there constantly now and is delighted with himself. He is still not poop trained. Working on it. I hear you when you say you have tried everything. This is not an easy task for the strong -willed child. I'm sure he will be well rewarded when he does "go". And so should you, lol.

We finally are getting there!

Here is what I did: I bought a bunch of matchbox cars. Only had 2 before, so this was a treat. When he went potty he got a car. After a few days he would still occasionally poop his underwear so I take one away if he does that. He also gets to help clean out his underwear (shake the poo in the toilet or dunk it if it is gooey- he keeps the dry end of the underwear dry and washes his hands)

We also "ran out" of diapers. The store "didnt have anymore" but a new teddy bear brings him a diaper every night- magically. Once in a while the bear will bring one at naptime if he is especially tired too. He really loves that bear! But, he is finally getting trained!

Well, first of all do not force him to poo poo in the potty because he might regress and stop peeing in the potty altogether. When he is ready, he'll be ready. Why not start a reward system for the poo poos in the potty that will get him excited about pooping in the potty! Tell him that his potty is hungry and that he only gets pee pees to drink, but he's hungry and needs poo poos to eat. Sounds silly but sometimes it works. :) Then make a sticker chart or some sort of reward system for him. Good luck!

my son was a nightmare to train. he just turned 4 last week and we still have accidents. it just took him some time i think he just wasn't ready but 7 months ago i thought it would never happen. but it just took time and a lot of patience and slowly he started getting it. we do do treats if he goes. i heard a pediatrician on the radio saying that pull ups were bad and that you should only use the thick cotton training pants that you wash that way they feel uncomfortable when wet or dirty. i don't know if that will help or not. we did the pull ups then when he got better the traing underwear. good luck keep trying it will happen

i think maybe a potty might be too small for your 3 year old now. it could be that he hates the feeling of (sorry for being gross) a long poo coming out and hits the bottom and feels stuck. And if it was too long he'd have to lift his bum up to push it all out.

I'm potty/toilet training my 2 yr old and he loves doing wees on the potty but he goes on the toilet of his poos. So I suggest a kiddy toilet seat for him. Cushioned of course. Good luck! I know what your going through

He may not be ready yet, be patient if you rush him it will only make it more agonizing for you both.

Try treats for when he's good (stickers, lollies etc...) this may entice him to do it in the right place if he'll get lots of praise, but whatever you do don't yell and scream if he has an accident point out where it should've happened and move on, you don't want to risk him getting scared of pooping.

Goodluck and be patient when he's ready he'll do it.

Source(s): Mum of 2 and 3/4
  • MarJoe

We used some little toys that where cheap and put them in a jar. If he didn't go in his pants then he got a toy. He was doing great in a month.