Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

Why in the hell is my internet running SO DAMN SLOW?!?

Ok, we have DSL internet, and we use routers to have internet from multiple computers. Sometimes before, the internet will just flat out disconnect, until the main modem is restarted. Other time the internet would pause out for a couple minutes. (It would show it's still connected, but wasn't). But now, it was working just fine an hour ago or so. I fell asleep for about 15..20 minutes and got back on my computer and now the internet's going really really slow, like 3 times slower than dial-up. My actual computer is running just fine, but it's my internet that's the problem. What is wrong?

Right now, as I type this, it's going at an OKAY speed. About as slow as dial-up. But nowhere near what it should be. I mean a couple minutes ago, it was literally taking 5 minutes to load one page.

• Ivory
    Favorite Answer

The routers might be causing the problem somewhere (been there). Unplug all the routers and connect one of the computers directly to the modem and see how well your net is running (don't forget to reboot your system and the modem itself for best results). If it is running better, then somewhere the routers are causing an issue. If it doesn't help any, it might be a problem with the modem or your connection to the net somehow. Best bet then is to call costumer service then.

Try to run a trace route and see if you can determine if the slowness is indeed coming from your setup instead of the ISP (Internet Service Provider).

Click Start then run.

Then type in cmd.exe

Then type tracert www.google.com

Watch the output as your pc tries to show you all of the 'hops' to www.google.com. If you do not make it past your router ip address then the problem is internal to your network. If you get outside your network then the issue is probably with your ISP.

Hope that helps a bit at least.

Mac

• Scarletred7 years agoReport

Can you please tell me If my ip address is on top of 9 others is my ISP sharing with all the other IP addresses listed?? or are all these ips on my network at once Please advise more if you know Thank you for your help SDrischler

hell internet running damn slow

no mac takes at least 5-10 minutes!

Are you using internet explorer? If you are that may be the problem.

www.getfirefox.com

a virus...I just got done dealing with that

you hae virus.

get a mac!!!

Source(s): www.apple.com