Wanting to teach english in China/taiwan.?

I want to go teach english in china or taiwan. I am 100% chinese , born in Taiwan. I moved to US about 10 years ago, but I can speak, read and write english and chinese perfectly with no accent.

What else can i do if they don't hire me ? What kind of job would you guys recommend?

Favorite Answer

I live in Taiwan, and I've been teaching English here for a number of years now.

I'm sorry to say that the private language schools here do in fact have a preference for Caucasian teachers, because that is what the parents are paying for. They also have a preference for younger teachers, and the ads will sometimes specify a certain gender.

Taiwan limits the employment of foreigners. Unless you are hired by a US company and posted here, teaching English is pretty much the only job you can get.

You will need to have a passport from Canada, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom. The government has recently opened up, and allowed South African teachers. However, North American accents are preferred.

You didn't give your age or gender, but I would say that if you are young and female and have a degree from an accredited university, you should have no problem in Taiwan getting a job.If you are male, it should still be easy for you.

China simply cannot get enough teachers, and they will hire you in a finger-snap. I know that English teachers from the Philippines and from former African colonies are getting jobs in China. The PRC government has only recently started insisting on university degrees.

Do you really "love" teaching? If you can read, write and speak English & Chinese fluently, there are a lot of things you can do besides teaching English in private language centers. As far as I know, there are a lot of companies (especially in trading)in China and Taiwan in desperate need of people like you. I know a bunch of people who are relocated by their US or Canadian compaies to Taiwan and China because they are bilingual. So do not be afraid and start looking for your dream job!

Here are some good resources for finding teaching jobs in Taiwan and China:

Bruce - You are good to go! Getting certified in EFL or TEFL will help but if you have a college degree that is enough, you may have a little trouble getting a job, I manage English teachers and I have had Chinese school tell me NO American Chinese, we want the yellow hair and blue eyed ones, you can save a little, I know a guy who taught for two years and took home 25 grand

you're taiwanese, you're fluent in both english and chinese. unless you're picky, you can do any job you want. check out www.104.com.tw