Amanda L asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why do dogs get yeast infections (black, smelly crud) in their ears. How do they get the infection in the ear

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The shape of the ear negates adequate air flow. Yeast likes to grow in dark, warm, moist places.

If you clean the ears with rubbing alcohol weekly, you can stop most yeast infections before they start.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Some breeds of dogs are more prone to yeast infections in their ears, like golden retrievers. Frequently food allergies or an otherwise weakened immune system is the culprit for chronic ear infections. It's an imbalance between the yeast and the good bacteria. In a healthy dog, the yeast keeps the bad bacteria in check and the good bacteria keeps the yeast in check. If it's out of whack it's best to look at nutrition in addition to alleviating the dog's symptoms.

• palrmt
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

most dogs that get yeast infections in their ears have longer floppy ears that dont get enough air flow because they hang down. this isnt always the case but it is the majority. yeast grows in the warm moist environment and turns into a raging ear infection before you even realize it. i have had owners that would tie their dogs ears back for a certain amount of time each day to decrease the chance of yeast infections. hope this helps

Source(s): vet tech 7 yrs
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

There are a few real keys to dog training, whether you are trying to train your dog to come when called, sit, stop barking or any other behavior. Understanding their importance is critical to achieving rapid results that are long lasting and help develop the bond between you and your dog. Read more here https://biturl.im/aU9RL

The first is simple; you must win your dogs mind. If you don't achieve this first then you will be struggling the all the way. When I talk about winning your dogs mind what I really mean is that your dog looks to you for all the decisions. Before you do anything else watch one of the amazing video sites that show you the 5 Golden rules to establishing yourself as the pack leader. If you aren't putting these in place then you are setting yourself up to fail. Just at the crucial point where you really want your dog to listen they will go and do their own thing. For sure your dog may play ball occasionally or even most of the time, you may even have a dog that is obedient 99% of the time, however if you want a dog who always listens to you and does as you ask then you need to win your dogs mind.

The second key to success is to motivate your dog. It is really important that you discover what it is that your dog enjoys both in terms of exercise and play but also in terms of a reward. If you can make the experience enjoyable then you will both achieve more and look forward to training.

Some dogs love to fetch, others love agility, and other dogs simply love obedience training, or swimming out into water and retrieve. At least to start with find out what your dogs love is and help them develop this, what I am saying is work with your dog. The other point to recognize is to make training enjoyable reward your dog.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It can be one of two things:

1.) Ear mites, which are small insects that infect an animals ear and the black gunk you see is their waste.

2.) Giving your pooch to many treats (or dog food) with red dye in it----red dye is danger to your pet. For some reason the dye is very hard on their system and will give them ear infections. Rule of thumb: Boring beige is the best when it comes to treats and bones.

Best thing to do is to swab out their ear canal (DO NOT GO IN DEEP!) with a cotton ball soaked in virgin oil and keep clean, if you catch the problem soon enough just keeping the ear clean with swabing it will clear it up in a couple of weeks. If the infection is to bad a trip to the vet will be needed. The vet will flush out the ear and clean and dry the inner ear properly and then give you a cream to put in the ear.

Be very careful when you bathe your dog so that water does not get down the ear canal (I hold a dry washcloth up against my dogs inner ear and put as little of water by her ears as possible) and tilt my dogs head up and back so the water flows down the back of her head away from her ears. If your dog/cat has black gunk in their ear--DO NOT WAIT!!!! Start either trying to treat it at home or get the animal to the vet. It itches the animal like crazy and they will tear up their ears with their nails trying to relieve the itch and the infection can get so bad that you are talking alot of money to fix the problem.

• Judith
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Try wiping it out with a cotton ball with a bit of hydrogen peroxide on it. This will at least clean it a bit. My cat's ears had the same problem, it turned out to be an infection. The vet prescribed some ear cleaning solution and some drops. It cleared up pretty quickly.

• 1 decade ago

Yeast infections are common in drop-eared dogs like poodles and cocker spaniels. Many times, it can be related to diet. Too much corn, etc.

• 1 decade ago

dogs get this by all the bacteria in the air i reccomend that you you clean the dogs ears every 2 weeks until better than you can go for 5 weeks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.