What did Dr. Robert J. Oppenheimer mean when he said: " I have become death--destroyer of worlds.?

He said this after the first aromic bomb was exploded on July 11,1945.

Best Answer

Quotation from the Bhagavad Gita, he realized that they had unleashed the potential of global suicide.....by unleashing the energy of the atom....

Source(s): true story......

I used that exact same quote earlier in the week when I said that any presidential candidate that was adamantly opposed to abortion on moral grounds should immediately disqualify themselves from looking for a job that gives them access to the type of power that Oppenheimer was alluding to From a strictly moral standpoint no true Christian should ever run for president

You cannot be serious? can you...

consider the force unleashed by one blast, along with the residual effects. His part in the development of this weapon. The ease of making them.

The bomb size to damage ratio is rather impressive.

Look at the sizes of Fat man and Littleboy compared to the destruction of Nagasaki and Hiroshima compared to conventional bombs.

k

He realised the terrible power of the weapon he had created and felt deeply ashamed of himself.

He knew that what he had helped make was wrong.

He said "I am become Shiva....the destroyer....death of the world"

It's self-explanatory.

He was ashamed of himself when he saw what he had created.