Do you think benadryl/diphenhydramine can cause mania or psychosis?

I have been diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic, but no one in my family has ever had any of these illnesses. I think it might have been caused by doing too many drugs, but I'd like to know which ones. I had been a weed smoker for about 10 years, and I found out that it can lead to schiz. But I... show more I have been diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic, but no one in my family has ever had any of these illnesses. I think it might have been caused by doing too many drugs, but I'd like to know which ones.
I had been a weed smoker for about 10 years, and I found out that it can lead to schiz.
But I don't think that's it.
I had also been addicted to benadryl for 3 years. I was at a point of taking like 12 every night.
Now, the reason why I think it's the diphenhydramine and not the pot is because after I was medicated I continued to do both.
And the only time I have symptoms of the disorders is when I'm on diphenhydramine.
I think this drug is very addicting and harmful and more warnings need to be put on it.
I wonder, if it was what caused my symptoms, if I stop taking it will I no longer be schizophrenic? Or did it already do permanent damage?
And you know what's funny about it is when I was hospitalized for psychosis they gave me 100 mg of benadryl every night!!
Update: i know why they gave me benadryl... it was because i asked for something to help me sleep. that's not my question...
1 answer 1