Democratic Party Split?

do you think it's possible we could see the democratic party split if there is no clear winner in the delegate count?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I see a very strong possibility of a really mad loser leaving the Democratic Party and running as an Independent.

Suppose Hillary loses because pledged Super Delegates reneged and jumped to Obama? With Bill already being snubbed by the Party, they could strike out on their own.

Or..suppose Obama leads in the popular vote (delegates), but similarly loses due to party politics and Super Delegates. He's young, but he could draw on public anger over losing his nomination to 'the man'.

I believe either one would still be a contender for winner amongst the 3-way leaders (McCain, Obama, and Clinton), but they could also extract revenge on the party by being a spoiler and handing the Presidency to the Republicans.

It could end up being a Constitutional Crisis to a much greater degree than 2000 was.

Scary.

Source(s): Source: Speculation.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There will not be any 'Super Delegate' war. Prior to this the Dems will unify on the 'popular' vote and ALL will rally behind the Dem winner.

The Dems have the opposite problem of the Cons - the Dems have 2 really great choices & with the exception of some 'fringes' are happy either way.

The Cons on the other hand did not like any of their choices and so against their better judgement, their preferences, their morals & values, - they are holding their noses and voting for anything the RNC shoves down their throat.

Their platforms are very similar - there's not a 'Deal' breaking difference between the two. Most of the percieved 'split' issues are perpetrated by 'Conservatives w/o a Cause' other than 'negative' strokes - no 'game' for the black-hearted little nazi's this cycle.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think the perceived split will disappear after the caucuses. Even though the differences between the two dem candidates make things seem very divided, I think the average democrat is probably more likely to vote for the eventual caucus winner than they are to stay home or vote rebuplican. Both candidates are very strong this year and in a good way.

That said, I think the longer they go on the more damage they do to the party in general. At least if they continue this negative in-fighting rather than focusing on the issues. Hopefully the outcome will be determined in Texas and Ohio.

• 5 years ago

I think the fight (better description than campaign) between Hillary and Obama may have damaged the Democrat Party enough already that they will not be able to win in November. If they lose, there will have to be some serious fence mending but not before all the finger pointing and blame is done. But knowing Democrats, they never get over sh*t like that and could carry over well into the 2012 election cycle. If Obama loses, Hillary will not doubt be made the Judas goat by many in the party. Since she will want to run again, it will make for some interesting politics.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They keep saying if the loser of tonights Primaries stays in the race that it will cause a split in the party at the DNC, but if you look at what people post and what people say you will see that there is already a split. Most Clinton supporters will not vote for Obama if he wins the nomination and most Obama supporters have said they won't vote for Hillary. This was unfortuntly the bad thing about Edwards dropping out, he was kind of the buffer between the two.

• Gretl
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The DNC is worried that if it comes down to a brokered convention, it would split the party and would result in a lot of smoke filled rooms. Coming from Howard Dean, can't stand the man and he should not be the head of the DNC.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've been saying this for a year now. Once again the democratic party screws up.

No I'm not a repub.

• renee
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

no, there will be a winner in the end, but if it drags out too long, it could still really hurt the party

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What is democratic about the democrat party?

• Percy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

it is split and the super delegates will cast the final votes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.